Friday, October 12, 2007

Lucky girl

I know I'm lucky to have Jack for a best friend and soon-to-be husband. He calls me funny names. He wakes me up in the morning with phone calls. He brings me flowers when I'm not expecting it. He takes me out to dinner. He surprises me with Starbucks. He saves his money and thinks about our future. I don't say it enough - he's good to me.

Sometimes it takes a week like this one for me to remember to brag about him, though.

Being the creative yet insane lady I am, I've decided to make my own invitations for the wedding. And to further convince you of the "insane" part, I've decided to tie pretty little ribbons around each and every invite. Yep, that's 200 invitations with 11 inches of ribbon around each one. This means that I need more than 60 yards of the ribbon I've picked out for just the invites. And oh, by the way, I think I'm using them for the programs too, so I'll need more than that.

This isn't such a big deal if you can find the ribbon you've fallen in love with at a place like Hobby Lobby, where you can order and pre-pay for as much as you need, as you should be able to. Unfortunately, this ribbon is only sold at Wal-Mart, the incompetant employee capital of the universe. But the ribbon is pretty and the price is right, so I've been going back every couple of weeks in hopes of finding more.

Anyway, the last time we were at Wal-Mart buying everything they had, I asked them when the next time would be that they got more of the coveted ribbon in, and they told me it would be October 11. This was dissapointing for Mandy, because Mandy lives in College Station during the fall semester. Jack, however, lives in Dallas all the time. Being the smart guy he is, when he heard the delivery date, he programmed an alarm on that date into his phone, and when his little alarm went off yesterday, he went and picked up 30 YARDS of it for me (two entire rolls)! This made me incredibly happy.

But wait, there's more.

Because he knew this made me happy and that I still needed at least 15 more yards, he used part of his day off to travel to Frisco, which is a half an hour each way, just to see if they had more at that Wal-Mart. They didn't, but the gesture was definately appreciated.

This probably doesn't sound like a lot to those of you who aren't trying to simultaneously plan a wedding, be a rock star at work, pass all your classes, graduate, and oh, yeah, find a big-girl job; but to me, not having to go find ribbon in the little free time I have left is priceless.

Thanks, Jack, for the little things.

0 comments: