Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Surprise!

My friend Garrett and I watched "Love Actually" the other night, and I wanted to share how much I loved the scene where Keira Knightley gets married - if you haven't seen it, you can watch it here on youtube.com.

That's a good kind of wedding surprise. And I'm not going to lie, if any of you want to arrange such a thing, I definitely wouldn't mind (heck, enough of you know how to play instruments).

To me, the wedding is paradoxical. I want everyone I know to be there, but I want it to be intimate. I want my dress to be simple but spectacular. I want everything to be cheap without looking cheap. I want to help set everything up myself but also spend the day getting ready. I want to take all my pictures before the ceremony, but I don't want Jack to see me before the wedding. And in this case, I want to be surprised, but I also want to avoid a lot of surprises.

For example, I want to be surprised by Jack having a heartfelt note delivered to me while we're getting ready separately before the wedding. I do not want to be surprised by Jack not showing up for the wedding.

I want to be surprised by a beautiful picture my photographer takes when we're not paying attention; I do not want to be surprised by the photographer accidentally formatting the memory card after the wedding.

I want to be surprised by an awesome arrangement the florist came up with; I do not want to be surprised by the florist deciding that the wedding color is black instead of purple and the boutonnieres should be replaced with black ribbons (This was a dream I had recently...anyone know what that one means? I was also getting married at Six Flags and forgot all my jewelry, if that helps the interpretation process).

As much as I love controlling things, I'd hate to have Jane Austen's attitude, when she said:

"Surprises are foolish things. The pleasure is not enhanced, and the inconvenience is often considerable."

Looking back, some of my favorite memories have been moments of surprise and of inconvenience. Just think about the chicken and the hotel scavenger hunt. That's one of the things my dad taught me - life is a collection of experiences, good and bad, and the bad is just as valuable in the collection as the good. Most of the things Jack and I laugh about involve something that was definitely bad at the time, like me dropping his just-finished monthly report in a gutter-river in the pouring rain one day. These are moments I won't soon forget.

I guess that means I'm ready to be inconvenienced, wedding or not. Bring on the surprises.

0 comments: