Friday, July 11, 2008

Home owners!!!!!

We finally closed on our house this morning!! It's nice to be homeowners and get the tax break, plus now we can get an American Home Shield thing and maybe get to stop paying for all the stuff that keeps breaking!

For those of you who don't know, we were already living in the house we just bought since we've been married, so it isn't a giant change for us. This is the house that I grew up in, and my parents moved about 3 years ago and have been renting it to Jack since then. As a [really freaking nice] wedding gift, they gave us the equity they had in the house, which served as our down payment, so basically we just took over the payments. It was extremely generous and we couldn't have done it without them. We appreciated it a lot.

The nice thing about this house is that because this is the house I grew up in since I was 4 years old, it has a lot of sentimental value to me as well.

This is the house where my first goldfish (Wurlitzer) is buried out in front of my original bedroom's window and the house where I received my acceptance letter to A&M [Jack was there when I got that letter, and ran inside with me to open it. When it said that I got in, my mom and Jack and I were all jumping up and down and Jack asked my mom, "can I kiss her now!?" (This was during the time we weren't allowed to kiss/date) - she said yes)]

This is the house where I used to stay up late every Christmas Eve with my brother, listening to Christmas music on KLTY. This is the living room where he and I would get up early on and get our stockings every single Christmas morning of my childhood (that I can remember), and this is probably the house where my children will have their first Christmases.

This is the master bedroom in which I would sleep on the floor when I was afraid of the dark so I could be in the same room with my parents and the same master bedroom in which I now hit snooze every morning to gain another 8 minutes to cuddle with my annoyed husband.

This is the house I stood outside to wait for the school bus with my neighbors, and the same house in front of which I sit and visit with those same neighbors now.

This is the house in which I made my brother so mad in that he punched a hole in my door, and the house I was in when I received my first (dream) job offer after college graduation (I hung up from that phone call and literally jumped into Jack's arms).

This is the house where I first fell for Jack, at 2 a.m., sitting on my kitchen counter, when I was 17 years old, and the house where we first kissed a few months later.

This is the house where Jack carried me over the threshold in my wedding dress after our wedding, and the house where friends and family gathered the next day.

No matter how much work it is to fix things that break and upgrade the things we want, I'm so glad to be making memories as newlyweds in the same house that I made memories as a child.

1 comments:

Jenzie said...

Awwwww, that blog gave me tears.