Wednesday, August 20, 2008

And the bravery continues

This morning, right after I got up, I went outside to take a look at the pouring rain. Yes, I decided, it was pouring rain; a torrential downpour that was causing our street to flood and our grass to revive itself. As I came back inside, I saw movement on the floor in the living room, near my laptop. I turned on the light to find a startled gecko, my nemesis.

So we meet again.

This was my moment. The theme from Rocky played in my head as I marched toward the kitchen to get a glass. He wasn’t getting away this time. As I tip-toed toward him, he saw me and ran for cover under my laptop.

“Oh, no you don’t,” I said to him, as I started to tap the top of my laptop, hoping to scare him out. Nothing.

I grabbed a bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release nearby (which is my version of an iron), and tapped on the laptop again with that. Still nothing.

Finally, I bravely slid the laptop back to reveal the persecutor. He was gross and fast. He ran out toward the middle of the living room floor, giving me a chance to capture him with my glass. Slowly, I lowered the glass over him. He was trapped! I was victorious! I clapped my hands and did a little happy dance as I watched him run around inside his glass prison.

I skipped into the bedroom, where Jack was sleeping, and sat down next to him, excitedly.

“Guess what!” I said, waking him up.

He opened his eyes and looked at me confused, for it was 7:30 in the morning and no time for news. “What?” he asked, sleepily.

“I caught a lizard!” I announced.

“Wow! That’s cool!” he said, still groggy but realizing how big of an accomplishment that was for me.

“Yeah, so now I’m going to need you to come put him outside,” I told him.

He smiled that funny little smile he gives me when I’m being irrational and got out of bed to fetch a piece of paper. After throwing the demon outside into the deep waters of our front yard, he came back in to find me still doing my happy dance.

“I’m proud of you,” he said. “But I’m going back to bed.” I was a hero.

Next week – Mandy wrestles and alligator.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

yay! congratulations..I guess you never did get maggie to do her part on the gekko hunt huh?

Mandy and Jack said...

haha no, she's useless.

Ms. Walters said...

i'm so proud mandy! your first gecko!

Pork Chop said...

That would probably have been more exciting if I wasn't in Hawaii... But I am, so it wasn't.

Mandy and Jack said...

Pork Chop, you are not in Hawaii at all. You are in Salem.

Meagan White said...

This is such a funny story! I love how you have to scroll down and then you see... "So we meet again." VERY dramatic, lol. Good for you I'm glad you got the little guy!!!