Friday, November 21, 2008

Cereal Toscana

Jack came and picked me up from work and took me to lunch today. At Olive Garden. Just because he’s nice and he likes me.

After our soup was served, I took a little sip off my spoon and remarked that it was hot, so be careful.

“Well of course it’s hot,” he said. “That’s what makes it soup!”

That’s what makes it soup?” I retorted, mockingly. “The temperature?”

“Yes,” he replied, confidently.

“Alright then, so when it gets cold it ceases to be soup?”

“Yes.”

“What does it become then?” I asked

“Cereal,” he replied, without hesitation.

I proceeded to initiate a passionate yet friendly argument about why soup could not possibly turn into cereal, using arguments from “okay, so exactly what temperature does soup have to drop to before it’s cereal?” [Answer: room temperature]. “Okay then, so canned soup isn’t soup until it’s heated?” [Answer: no].

It’s really not all that productive disputing someone who’s completely devoid of logic in their arguments.

But I guess I’ll give him a break… did I mention he came and took me to lunch today?

0 comments: