Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Crock-Pot Blunders

Since Tuesdays are usually Jack's late nights at work, I figured today was a good day for crock-pot food. My dad had given me a little pot roast with potatoes and carrots that he had packaged and frozen, and today, I would finally remember to use it.

As my morning bagel was toasting, I got out the crock pot and the bag of pot roast, carrots, and potatoes, congratulating myself on how amazingly prepared I was. I set it on low and added the food with about of a half a cup of water.

As I entered the house, I was pleasantly surprised by a nice food smell. Oh yeah! I already cooked! Yay!

Apparently, it was either not enough water or too much time after my 10-hour day at work, because this is what I actually came home to:


Time will tell whether Jack will eat the burnt potatoes, shrivelled carrots, and dried out pot roast for dinner or not. I've mentioned before that his standards are pretty low for food. And thank goodness for that.

The problem is...this isn't the first time I've had crock pot trouble.

The last time I brought out the crock pot, I had one of those Betty Crocker (or insert other food brand name here) frozen crock pot meals, I think it was something like stroganoff. Evidently, you need to read the directions on these things, because I just threw in the meatballs, noodles, water, and gravy all at the same time.

An hour after I got to work, Jack called me.

"Um, honey? What's this in the crock pot?" he asked.

"Our dinner," I said, excited about my new status as most prepared wife ever.

"Well," he said "I don't think I want to eat it."

"Why wouldn't you want to eat my dinner?" I asked in my poutiest voice.

"It's mush," he reported. "The directions say that you weren't supposed to add the noodles until an hour before serving. Did you even read the directions?"

"Oh. Um," I said. "You're going to need to throw that out."

Apparently Mandy and the crock pot do not play well together. Perhaps next week I can share all the ways I can screw dinner up with nothing but a griddle.

**Update: Jack got home and chose cereal. He did a little laughing at me for my inability to cook using the presumably easiest method possible. He also poked at the potatoes and carrots, remarking: "It still feels like food." Then later, when he was throwing it out: "This smells like burnt french fries." Oh well. Maybe I'll be a gourmet chef in another lifetime. For now, we'll enjoy our Lucky Charms.

3 comments:

3 Bay B Chicks said...

PS: The crock-pot blunder story made me laugh out loud. Great visual accompaniment!! :)

Angela said...

I always thought it was impossible to mess up a crockpot meal...you've just proven me wrong! Sara, my 11 yr old, can even crockpot a good beef stew!

Kelley said...

I have a love hate relationship with my crock-pot as well!