Sunday, November 30, 2008

Let no man despise thy youth

Some recent Facebook comments from people I actually know:

hope im just like dehydrated or sumthin.

doesnt matter if they make profit off of it.. their still giving money away to chairity

Caitlyn isnt feeling great. and hasto get up early for a math test. thats the worst. =[.

its too quiet without youuuu

Wow your big time! thats awesome. I love Nip/Tuck, steal stuff from the set and sent it to me!

What's frustrating U hun? Anything i can do to cheer U up?

when do you get backkkkkk?!

-----

It's just too frustrating. I can't possibly not write a ranting blog entry about it. Why must young people write as if they have zero intellect?

I recently read a friend's facebook status that said "[His name] is tryin to make sum ringtones. what FREE program do u use? i found one on a website thats really good. just alil tedious." I commented back.

"Why don't you spell with real words?"
I asked.

"if 1 understanz wut im sayin wut duz it madder?" he replied, being a smart-alec.

"Because you sound much dumber than you actually are,"
I replied.

"Mandy, this is just Facebook. Thank you for knowing how I speak online is not necessarily how I speak in real life. That being said, this is just facebook. I am not writing a thesis, grant proposal, or a letter to my grandmother. I usually just do not want to take the time to type everything out properly," he said.

This got me thinking. I realize that this is a less formal communication method. I'm good with that! I don't always capitalize when I'm supposed to or check every word for spelling errors when I write on Facebook walls or talk with IM.

But seriously, people, why must you completely abandon everything you've ever learned about writing and become 100% lazy (Yes! Poor writing is lazy!) when you get on Facebook?

Here's the thing, friends. People already look down on the younger generation. It will always be true. Younger people must prove themselves to the older generations to be taken seriously! I don't care how you feel about that; it's true. It's true in the business world, it's true in school, it's true in the moral and religious world (Ever heard of 1 Timothy 4:12? There's a reason Paul told Timothy: "Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example for other believers in your speech, behavior, love, faithfulness, and purity.")

Let's talk about that "setting an example for other believers in speech." Obviously, we usually think what we say in reference to this passage, but I'd like you to take a minute to consider the way you say them. If your grammar, spelling, and capitalization are so bad that nobody is taking you seriously to begin with, why would they bother trying to interpret your message?

I don't care if it's fair. You must work extra hard to prove yourself as a young person. You must work extra hard to communicate effectively and intelligently.

Do not
intentionally misspell words - it's not cute when you say "sumone" instead of "someone." Learn the difference between "to" and "too;" "their," "there," and "they're," and for goodness sake, "you're" and "your!" Use an apostrophe every so often! Don't hold down keeeeyyyyyss because you think it's funnnyyyyyyyy! Add the "g" to the end of the present participle form of verbs!!

It's honestly not that difficult to write like an adult! You are a college-educated human being. And even if you're not, you are at least high-school educated, and if American schools can't even teach basic grammar in 13 years of schooling, I want to move out of this country before I pro-create (But guess what? They do. Because I came away knowing how to write).

Put some effort into your writing. Even casual writing. You will not be taken seriously otherwise. Really, you shouldn't be taken seriously otherwise.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Yay! I'm not alone in my frustration! Oh, and your blog looks beautiful, as do your Christmas gifts!

didlake said...

Agreed, agreed, agreed. I cannot stand improper punctuation or spelling on blogs or facebook - just cuz.