Monday, January 5, 2009

Strange noises in the kitchen

Jack and I were sitting on the couch just now, and I heard a weird noise coming from the kitchen. Since I had my laptop on my lap, I asked Jack if he would check to see what it was. He got up and went to see what it was, and I told him the oven might still be on from dinner.

A couple seconds later, he came back in the living room. "That must have been what it was," he said.

"But the noise is still there!" I said. "I still hear it!"

"I don't hear anything," he replied.

"You can't hear that?" I asked, shocked that he couldn't hear the loud "whirring" noise coming from the kitchen. "Pause the TV."

Annoyed, Jack got up and grabbed the remote. The TV went quiet and the loud noise was much more apparent.

"Do you hear that now?" I asked, and then realized what it must be. "Oooh it's the beans! I left them on the stove and they're burning!"

Unphased, Jack stayed seated.

"Aren't you going to go get them?" I asked, shocked that he wasn't getting up to get them right away.

"No," he said.

"Are you serious?" I asked, contemplating whether he was just kidding or truly wanted me to get up and get it myself.

Just then, I heard a loud whistle begin in addition to the whirring noise. It was the kettle. Jack was boiling water for hot chocolate to surprise me. I always ruin the surprises.

0 comments: