Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Note to self... learn how to quilt

I LOVE this Chinese tradition and idea for a baby quilt that I read about from Shelley from A Sister for the Bean (who, by the way, has an AWESOME raffle going on to raise money to adopt Claire!)

To welcome and celebrate a new life, there is a tradition in the northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei, or 100 Good Wishes Quilt. It is a custom to invite friends and family to contribute a patch of cloth with a wish [prayers are what I would want] for the baby. Part of the patch of cloth goes into the quilt for the baby, and the other part of the cloth can go into a creative memory notebook [scrapbook, anyone?] with the wish for the child. The quilt contains the luck, energy, and good wishes  from all the families and friends who contributed a piece of fabric. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation.

We're not having kids any time soon, but I love the idea!!! Get your fabric ready, people... I'm going to want some of it.

3 comments:

The Thompson's said...

Wow that is a good idea. Let me know how it goes.

Shelley said...

It feels like Christmas every day right now when I check the mail...Little packages of fabric arriving at my door!

Jamie McLaughlin said...

you know what else is cute. Buying a plain tree skirt for your Christmas tree and every year putting the kids handprints on it with their name and the year. My friend does this and it is adorable.