Thursday, April 9, 2009

The first time I felt old

Last night, we were sitting in council time at Awana, and Tiffany was giving a lesson to the kids on "Why do bad things happen to good people?" (MckInspired, perhaps?)

Anyway, she made a few references to 9/11 when she was listing examples of bad things happening to good people. After the first reference, I looked at my 8-year-old neighbor, Aubree, who was sitting in front of me, and thought about the page in her scrapbook her mom had added about the events of 9/11. Aubree was 1.5 years old at the time. She didn't remember it.

I looked around the room, and realized most of these kids were born in 1999 or 2000. None of them remembered 9/11. They had no recollection of watching it on TV, or hearing it on the radio, or being told by a friend or classmate. How did that happen so fast?

I leaned over to Linda, my co-leader. 

"These kids were only 1 or 2 when 9/11 happened," I whispered. She gave me a surprised look.

"You're right!" she whispered, back, then to her 8-year-old daughter, Annette: "Do you know what 9/11 is?" she asked. Annette looked up at her and shrugged.

"No," Annette answered, simply.

Woah.

I'm guessing there's more of those "how-did-I-get-so-old" moments to come. Now I know what Jack feels like all the time when he makes references to things like "Smurfs" and I stare back at him blankly.

As my mother-in-law always says, "keep breathing, you'll get there."

1 comments:

Tiffany said...

I didn't even THINK of that! Wow! I guess it is just so deeply rooted in me that it is hard to think that others wouldn't know what it is. Amazing.

Love the new blog look, btw!