Two, actually. There were still two birthday banners up from Jack's birthday party. Yes, from a month and a half ago. Don't judge me.
But Angela was on her way, and that was really the only thing that needed to be done to have a fairly clean house, since my husband is pretty much the coolest person ever.
So I took the birthday banners down, and took them to the guest room, where we keep the wrapping paper and birthday stuff under the bed. The bed was already made (clean sheets and everything!) since, again, my husband is pretty much the coolest person ever.
I decided I'd better check to make sure the guest bathroom was still clean. I mean, I had cleaned it the night before, but you never know. And it was clean.
All this reminded me that Angela and I would be scrapbooking this weekend, and I wasn't sure if I had any 12x12 pages for my Project 365 album. So I went looking for them.
In the process, I found my honeymoon album, which still needed journaling, so I decided I would do that with Angela instead. But I decided that maybe my un-scrapped Project 365 pictures should go in a regular slip-in album so they'd all be in order and ready to scrap later. So I picked up an empty album from my bookshelf and went looking for the pictures.
Twenty minutes later, I still couldn't find the pictures. So, of course, I gave up, and took the album back to my office bookshelf.
That's when I saw the sewing machine.
My sister-in-law, who learned to sew recently and is now making all kinds of cool stuff, including dog collars, inspired me to start trying to sew again, so I thought the first step to actually doing that is setting the machine up in my office.
So I started setting up my parents' card table.
But it was ugly.
That's when I decided to cover it in fabric.
And that's how we end up here, at this little crafting tutorial.
Like I said before, this isn't actually my card table, if you want to get technical. Actually, in this neighborhood, we pass folding tables, chairs, scrapbooking/stamping supplies, eggs, milk, flour, lawn bags, tools...you name it... around constantly, and pretty much anybody could have anything of anyone else's at any given time. So it was a community table, if you will.
Now, I went the girly pattern route, since, well, I'm a girl. But a solid fabric would work just fine as well, and maybe even a green felt-covered card table would a more fun poker table than a plain old card table.
I noticed that there was a little space between the top of the card table and the sides. If I was REALLY making the card table over, the first thing I would do would be to repaint the metal sides, but again, not my table, so this had to be temporary if necessary.
So I didn't have to actually remove the top of the table to "re-upholster" it, all I really did was cut the fabric the right size and push it through the slit on all the sides. I used a bobby pin, then a Creative Memories multipurpose tool (which I bent, and therefore decided that it was not smart to continue using that), then a guitar pick to do the job.
After I covered it in fabric, making sure to stretch it tight on all sides, I used a regular stapler to attach the fabric underneath. Because the staples come out easily, the "temporary" thing is still in play, though I suppose you could make it less temporary by gluing it under there or using a heavier stapler.
The whole thing took me about a half an hour (if that) and cost me nothing (I guess it cost me the fabric and staples, and almost a multi-purpose tool, but that was all stuff I had on hand.) And voila! A new look for "my" new "sewing table!"
Now, if you'll excuse me, I think there is something shiny over there I need to be distracted by.