Wednesday, May 20, 2009

American Idol Idle

Update - We both did it! I can hardly believe we pulled it off.

-----

I'm going to do it this year.

I'm going to try not to find out who won American Idol until Jack gets home and we can watch it together. You would think that since he gets home only a few hours after it airs that we could successfully stay in the dark until we have time to watch it on the DVR.

But it's harder than you think. It's. Everywhere.

Last year, I was in the grocery store when Idol was on, talking on the phone to my father-in-law. All of the sudden, I heard him say something to my mother-in-law.

"Oh, who won?" he asked her, casually. Just as it occured to me what he was asking, I heard her in the background.

"David Cook," she answered.

I dropped the can of green beans I was holding, dropped to my knees on the hard aisle floor, and raised my arms in anguish.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" I screamed.

Actually, that last part didn't happen. But I can embellish because it's my blog. I was also sitting on a unicorn. So there.

But my father-in-law felt completely terrible about ruining it for me, so that made me feel better. I always like to make people feel terrible.

But this year... this year maybe I can pull it off. I just have to avoid the following:
  • Phone conversations with my in-laws, who watch things live like animals.
  • Text messages or calls from people who may be watching American Idol live anyone.
  • Listening to the radio.
  • Logging on to any kind of news website
  • Reading any blogs that are updated in my RSS feed reader after 7:30 p.m.
  • Logging on to twitter, where Matthew Turner will no doubt be giving us a clever play-by-play
  • Logging on to facebook, where anybody and everybody will announce the winner with their status changes
  • Logging on to myspace Like anybody ever does that anymore
  • Checking my e-mail, lest you people leave a comment to this post telling me who won
  • Going to the gym, with all the millions of TVs (Darn. Can't work out tonight. Waa.)
  • Going to a neighbor's house, where they will surely have it on in the background.
  • Going outside, where a neighbor may yell the name of the winner out of excitement as they skip down the street.
  • Eye contact with my dog, who may have a sixth sense about it and tell me who won with her eyes
There's probably something that I'm missing. I'm going to get told about it. But on the upside, I get to find out how the Amish live tonight.

----

Update: I got this e-mail from my brother this morning - 

I didn’t know it was hard not to find out who won… In fact, I still don’t know. Regardless – my one single goal of 2010 is to make sure you know who wins American Idol before you watch it. I don’t know how yet, but I will. Beware.

1 comments:

Greg said...

heh - I'm with Shane. I still don't know who won (and still don't care).

Oh, and MySpace is (unfortunately) where almost all bands have moved their current content to, so we have to sign in occasionally to get music info.

(notice how I draw a distinction between music, and American Idol? :)