Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I'm just going to say it.

I don't care about the environment that much, unless doing something about it benefits me directly. This earth is not my home, and I don't need to go insane trying to conserve every single resource. However, I will do my part to recycle and eat things that are good for me. But not because it's trendy.

I think it's weird to breastfeed your kid until they're 5, but that doesn't mean I don't want to breastfeed my kid at all.

I don't like cats.

I don't take facebook seriously and I do clean house every so often for both my safety and sanity, but if I actually hurt a real person's feelings by unfriending them, I would apologize.

It is not my job to judge others. I do, however, have my own opinions about what is right or wrong, and I have a right to those opinions.

I think people who use bad spelling and grammar are lazy.

I think bad words are sometimes appropriate, though I usually choose not to use them because I'm intelligent enough to come up with 5+ letter-words to express my feelings.

I believe every word in the Bible is true. Whether it's politically correct or not.

I think that parents who refuse to discipline their kids are crappy parents.

I think that everyone - Christians, Muslims, Jews, gay, straight, black, white, purple - everyone has the right to say what they want, to believe what they want, and to worship what they want in America. I do not think that it is the government's job (or anyone else's job) to decide what is and what is not okay to say or think.

I think Taylor Swift is a fabulous song writer, and I do like her singing whether it's in tune or not.

I laugh at sexist jokes, and I'm not at all offended when a man jokingly tells me to "get back in the kitchen where I belong." I'm secure enough with my intelligence and competence as a woman to laugh at stereotypes. 

I'm inclined to believe (gasp) the Big Bang Theory and the views on an Old Earth. Because it doesn't really matter. Either way, God created the heavens and the earth. That's all I need to know, really.

It is not okay for wives to talk to their husbands disrespectfully (and vice versa). Even so, I still do it sometimes.

I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins, and that there is only one way to get to heaven.

I don't care all that much about politics, and I'd really rather watch The Office than the news.

I believe killing people is wrong. And I believe babies are people as soon as they're conceived. I don't believe I have a right to choose to kill someone else just because they live inside my body.

So there.

Disagree? Good! This is America. You're allowed to. In fact, leave a comment about it!

Because even if you do, I think we can still be friends

---

Note - This post was inspired by Lindsay Ferrier over at Suburban Turmoil. She wrote an intelligent post the other day about why she thinks review posts and personal posts shouldn't mix. Evidently there was backlash from a bunch of other bloggers about her not being a team player because she disagreed with them. Boo. Hoo. Heaven forbid we don't all think alike. 

Good for you, Lindsay. Good for you. 

6 comments:

MckMama said...

Hey! Thanks for the link to my gospel post! And I saw your comment on Suburban Turmoil earlier:) Great words! And we can still be friends, even though I STILL breastfeed Big Mac and he's four and a half!

Just kidding. I don't. That's weird. But it's nice to know that we COULD still be friends. Even if I did.

Which I don't. Did I already mention that?

Suburban Turmoil said...

Ha ha, thanks! Love the honesty of this post.

I have a majorly different point of view from many of my best blogging friends, but I love that we can still get together and have a blast, because regardless of what they believe, they're lovely people and they all have great hearts. And that's all that matters to me. :)

Amanda said...

Taylor Swift will be on the today show, i believe on friday, so get your tivo ready!! (my husband and I have a dvr, and it doesn't make the fun sounds, so we make our own "beedoop beedoop" when we fast forward. What's funnier, he's never heard the tivo, he does it because I do :))

El said...

You crack me up, Mandy. =) Wonderful post, m'dear.

Jamie McLaughlin said...

I believe in an old earth. shhhhh don't tell :)

Rachel said...

Way to go, girlfriend. I agree with EVERYTHING you said and you said it way better than I ever could. You are a peach. :)