Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Okay, TAMU, you got my freaking attention

Dear Texas A&M University,

I'm not sure how long it will take you to realize this, but I am not a student there anymore. Actually, I haven't been a student there for a year and a half. Your association of former students seems to realize this, since they send me e-mails every other day asking me for money (And by the way, when I'm still paying back my thousands of dollars in student loans to your school, I'm not inclined to give you even more money for the heck of it. Sorry.) 

Before I left, I found out how long I had to switch over all my e-mail to a new account (six months) and got it done in less than three. So, when the first warning that my @tamu.edu e-mail address was about to expire, I thought "yeah, that's about right." No worries, I had been prepared.

Then, at a year, when I was still getting e-mails about my account expiring "in 30 days," it was a little bit of a nuisance, but nothing I couldn't handle. One little "add sender to my junk senders list" click and I didn't have to worry about them any more. 

But you've returned with a vengeance, haven't you? You must have read my blog and realized that the best way to get my attention is by waking up the dog. You are an evil university. Pure. Evil.

A text message from Texas A&M:

Dear mandycrawford@tamu.edu, Your Texas A&M University account will expire in 30 days. Please login to extend your service period.

Dated: Tue, Jun 2 2:35 AM.

Yes, you read that right. 2:35 AM! As in "in the freaking morning." And Maggie is awake. And Jack is awake. And Mandy is awake. And none of them are happy.

Now, maybe you thought "she's a college student, so 2:35 a.m. is, in fact, the best time to reach her." This was probably true when I was a college student. But, as we have covered several times in this letter, I am no longer a college student. Therefore, 2:35 a.m. is no longer the optimum time to do business with me. 

Again, in case you didn't realize it from my year and a half of ignoring your "30-day" warnings to extend my service period with my @tamu.edu e-mail address, I am not a student there any more. I do not wish to have an @tamu.edu e-mail address. I do not wish to register for classes. I do not wish to pay any more money, take any more tests, or attend any more midnight yells.

I am not a student anymore. Yes, I'm okay with you expiring my account. Please, just leave me alone.

Sincerely,

Mandy "You're lucky my husband is totally into your stupid school because I'm never ever ever ever giving money to your former student association" Hornbuckle

11 comments:

Andrew S said...

Whoa, crazy rant. I searched because I got this same message...but I'm still a student...still, I'm confused about what exactly I'm supposed to do with this.

Mandy and Jack said...

I almost wonder if it was a spam thing... why the heck would they send a text at 2:35 a.m.??

Justin said...

It's not your e-mail or anything, it's codemaroon. You need to log into codemaroon.tamu.edu and deactivate your service.

Mandy and Jack said...

I realize that Code Maroon is how they got my cell phone number and permission to text me, but all the other Code Maroon alerts I get have nothing to do with my account expiring. My account should have expired long ago.

Tim said...

Easy there Aggie.

Take some solice in knowing that its not just TAMU that does this. I went to several colleges and get less begging for money from their alumni association than from others.

I dont quite get that email account thing though. I think its run by a computer though. They dont know what time of day anything happens. Hate to hear of all of this. Hope it gets better soon.

Love and Prayers,

Tim

Mandy and Jack said...

Really, it's not the Association of Former Students that bothers me. I realize they need money and I realize that donors are how they get it. No big deal. When we've paid off my student loans, we'll most likely be donors.

My problem is that the Association obviously realizes that I'm out of school, yet the University is STILL bothering me a year and a half later about renewing the account I do not need. Perhaps a little communication between the two organizations would work wonders.

Justin said...

Ok, did you even try what I recommended? I know this is the solution because I got the same message several times. Log into codemaroon.tamu.edu and try and I guarantee that it will fix your problem.

Andrew S said...

while my code maroon did end up saying it would expire in 30 days (so I went and extended that until 2010), and while the texts were coming from it...as soon as I extended my deadline...

...

I GOT ANOTHER TEXT WITH THE 30 DAY MESSAGE.

I wonder if I'm in a scary movie and this will signify my death or something. jk.

Mandy and Jack said...

Even if logging in to codemaroon helps (which yes, I did, by the way), the point is that 2:35 a.m. is not an appropriate time to have to receive text messages. Unless it's from your drunk friend.

So Not Mom-a-licious said...

What a bunch of crap! 2:35 is an odd hour to send anything. Too bad you didn't have someone's direct line to call that late one night. Stupid robots are no fun to prank call!
Thanks for linking up!

Anti-Supermom said...

Hilarious. Are they as bad as the University of Iowa calling for money, umm like every other day?!