Thursday, July 30, 2009

Boy meets girl

So I'm working on a question/answer post (in which I answer some the questions you asked me amongst the 3,000+ comments in the contest post) that will publish with tomorrow's big winner reveal, but this question's answer got so long that I decided that it deserved its own post. Funny I've never told this story before! Thanks for reminding me, Mallory!

How did you and Jack meet? It’s not often that you have a couple who’s 7 years apart that met when one of them was in their teens!

That’s true – it wasn’t exactly a run-of-the-mill situation. Jack was actually my (and my parents’) taekwondo instructor. He was 24 years old and new in town. I was 17 and a senior in high school. (And for the record, we didn’t have any kind of romantic interest in each other when we first met).

My parents have this habit of bringing home single people and treating them like family. I think it’s a great habit (an especially Christian one, in my opinion), and as a result, I have quite a few adopted “uncles” and “aunts.”

So anyway, when we earned stripes coming up in the belt levels, my family would celebrate by going to Braums (the beginning of the obsession? Maybe.) and having ice cream together (counter-productive to workout, yes).

Not long after we started, Mom and Dad started inviting Jack to join us for ice cream on these nights. This led to more invitations to things like disc golf, remote-controlled airplanes in the park, movies, and just coming over to the house after taekwondo to hang out and eat dinner every night.

Needless to say, Jack and I got to know each other pretty well over the next few months of just hanging out. We had similar interests – he went to A&M, and I would be going there in the fall. He was in the band in high school and college, I had been in the band in high school. We got to know each other and spent a lot of time talking late into the night. One night, he stayed after my parents went to bed, and we ended up talking much later than we had planned. At 2 a.m., I was sitting on my kitchen island, still talking to Jack when my dad came out of his room, bleary-eyed and annoyed, and simply said: "Goodnight, Mandy." He turned to Jack. "Goodnight, John."

A while later, Jack held my hand for the first time while we were watching "Coyote Ugly" together on the couch. A few months after that, Dad happened to see Jack kiss me when we were swimming in the backyard (this is quite possibly my Dad's favorite part of the story), and because of that we got quite a few rules regarding not being able to date-date each other. It was kind of a rough (and irritating) time, but we made it though and started for-real-dating when I left for college.

We spent my three and a half college years dating long distance (lived about 3.5 hours away from each other), and we went into it not having too high of expectations. We realized that long distance relationships rarely work, and that I would likely meet new people that I may be interested in dating there. But honestly? Other than the fact that long distance relationships really suck, it wasn't hard. I was never once interested in dating anybody else. Nobody came close to Jack. (That sounds sappy, but I don't mean it to be. It's simply a reality.)

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, I guess. Next step: the proposal. After that: the wedding. Then the honeymoon. Then, well, life.

4 comments:

Jessica Latshaw said...

I love the part where your dad comes out annoyed at 2 am and just says "good night" to each of you, respectively! It reminds me of the time my first boyfriend and I were supposed to get off the phone--his dad needed it, I think--and, when asked why we still weren't off the phone and my BF said that we were "saying bye," his dad got on the phone immediately and simply said, "Bye is a very short word."

That pretty much wrapped up the convo!

Nati @ I will praise Him said...

Thanks for sharing!!!! So funny about your Dad!!!

Mallory said...

Haha, I love the part about your dad. This whole story is just cute. :) Thanks for taking the time to share!

Tiffany said...

Thank you for sharing! What a cute story.

And I went out of town and didn't keep up with your contest post. Holy cow! Over 3000 comments!!