Thursday, July 2, 2009

Coupon Organization Board

Update 8/6/09 - Welcome Tip Junkies! Thanks for visiting! Please leave me a comment (and leave one on all the tips you visit!. It makes everybody happy!) Also, here are more of my couponing posts, crafting posts, and how to posts! Thanks, Laurie, for the feature again! Man, I love Tip Junkie.

--

Remember this?When Jack and I used to clip and organize coupons every week, I basically made a giant mess on the living room floor, sorting the coupons as I clipped in little stacks all over the floor. Well not any more! I created an organizer for my coupons for while I'm clipping them!

I took some leftover matte board I got from Hobby Lobby to cover my dining room table while crafting (I suppose you can also use poster board, but I like how thick and sturdy this foam-board is). I measured 3.5" x 4.5" rectangles and drew straight lines on the board with a pencil.
Optional - I took a pretty patterned paper and cut strips out to make my lines. I realize this is an unnecessary step. When Jack saw it, he asked me what it was, and when I said "a coupon organizer," he asked why I was making it pretty. I just stared at him. Has he ever met me?

Anyway, you can make the lines with paper or a marker, but either way, you want to end up with squares big enough for your coupons.

I organize my coupons in a binder with baseball card holders organized by category. I took all the categories from my binder and printed out labels for each square. Then, I just put them in the squares in the order they are laid out in the binder to make it easy for me to put the coupons away.

I ended up with this.

Now, my food is organized alphabetically by brand, so I also cut out the letters for my food brand boxes with my wishblade (you can use stickers or just print the letters from your printer for this if you don't have a wishblade.)

And voila! It's ready for action!

It has worked beautifully for keeping the mess to a minimum when I'm clipping coupons (many times, my clipping takes several days since I'm, ahem, a procrastinator), so it's so nice to have this one place where all my coupons are laying out instead of having them all over my floor.

Also, when I have to move them out of the way or off the floor, I can just pick up my board and (carefully!) move all of them at once.

Plus - now that all the categories are listed and easily found, Jack can help me out with the organizing, since he'll know which categories the coupons go in now! Time will tell whether this helps his coupon-clipping contribution amount at all. :)

Don't know how to "do" couponing? Here's a good place to learn!

Just curious... at what point did it become second-nature to take pictures of every step of making something because obviously I would be doing a tutorial about it on my blog later? I've gone insane.

Reader poll - How do you organize your coupons? Both when you're clipping them, and when they're already clipped? Leave a comment!

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

OMG! I do the same thing every Sun/Mon/sometimes Tuesday..LOL
I love the board that can be moved out of the way. I do not know how many times I have had to restart cause the baby wanted to help by crawling through my little piles all over the floor.
I use a binder with baseball card holders also. However I am going to have to graduate to something larger because of all of the coupons I have.
I have pictures to post to my blog eventually..LOL I have one more day of summer school..then the catch up 8 weeks of blogging begins!
What categories do you use??

Mandy and Jack said...

I'll have to do a post on the categories soon! I don't remember at the moment, but there's definitely a "food" category!! ;-) More to come!

Kelly said...

Mandy... loved your idea here... but a suggestion for you.. how about making it out of cork board so that you can actually use thumb tacks to hold the coupons in place if you need to move it???