Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Mama never said there'd be days like this

Alternately titled: The one which has no definitive ending.
Alternately titled: It's my blog and I can whine if I want to, whine if I want to.

Monday.

I know. Everybody says Mondays suck. Or some variation of "Mondays suck." But Mondays are supposed to suck. God designed it that way so that Sundays would be that much more awesome. That's why he put church on Sunday instead of Monday. No, really, I'm pretty sure it says that somewhere in Leviticus.*

Here's how my morning went.

1:30 a.m. - Jack and I are going to bed from the day before. I'm laying on the top of the bed, reading blogs on my phone, when Jack comes in the room, noticing a big wet spot in the middle of the bed.

"Did Maggie pee on the bed?" he asked.

Uh oh.

After a quick inspection (aka, having him smell the wet spot), it was decided that yes, she did indeed pee on the bed, and we were going to have to start considering sending her to that "farm" [that isn't really a farm].

We got the comforter into the wash and thanked God that 1) it didn't go all the way through the comforter to the sheets and 2) it was summer and we technically didn't really need the comforter this once anyway.

7:30 a.m. - My alarm goes off. I mean, I realize this happens every day, but if I'm going to whine about my morning, I might as well include everything that irritated me.

8:30 a.m. - I'm getting into my car, and as I turn the key in the ignition I glance in the rear-view mirror, and something caught my eye. It a bug that looked about like this*.

In my hair.


Assessing the situation, I did what any rational, mature adult woman would do.

I freaked the heck out.

I flung open the car door, and did the "I have a bug in my hair!" dance (which is basically a folded-at-the-waist version of the "there's a gecko anywhere near me" dance). Still frantically searching my hair, I ran back into the house.

"Jaaaaaaaaaaaaackk!!!!!!!!!" I screamed, and ran into the living room toward Jack, who was brushing his teeth on the couch (don't ask). "There's a bug in my hair and can you pleasepleasepleaseplease make sure it's gone?" I begged in a much higher-than-normal octave.

Jack suppressed a laugh (less for my benefit and more to prevent making a foamy toothpaste mess on the floor) and searched my hair.

"Ah fink it'f gone," he said. "Ah fon't fee one."

And with that, I was off to work again, occasionally slapping myself in the various places that the imaginary bugs were crawling on me during the drive.

Does that girl in the car next to us have tourettes? No, she's just covered in imaginary insects.

9 a.m. - I get to work to find out that today's broadcast had a major error in it and had already aired on some stations. I fixed the error, converted it, and re-uploaded it to the Focus Satellite Network (FSN) FTP and Amb-OS. (Read: Blah blah blah, Ginger).

9:30 a.m. - Everything is uploaded, so I send out an e-mail to our Christian Radio Technical listserv (hundreds of tech people from Christian radio stations all across the country) letting them know that they need to re-download today's broadcast and air the error-free one.

9:45 a.m. - I get a call from a guy at FSN. He wonders if I'm going to upload the updated program to their FTP. I tell him I already did. He says he sees no change. I upload it again. Again, no change.

I'm about to upload it again, when I notice our own FTP address at the top of the window. Brilliant. I've been uploading it to the wrong FTP over and over. Mandy, the professional, ladies and gentlemen.

10:30 a.m. - I get a call from someone at Amb-OS.

"So, in your e-mail, when you said that 6/13's program had been replaced, did you mean that 7/13's program had been replaced?"

Crap.

Yes, in the e-mail I sent out to hundreds of technical professionals, I did indeed mean 7/13 and not 6/13. Fabulous.

11:30 a.m. - Lunch time. And with that, my day got progressively better. (Food+Mandy=True love forever xoxo Mandy hearts food)

[Insert clever, witty ending about silly days here. Gee. Silly days. Jazz hands.]

---

*Not really.

3 comments:

Jessica Latshaw said...

Oh my goodness, here is to Tuesday being monumentally better.

And that bug!

Gross.

So sorry...P.s. I really liked the reference to jazz hands. And blog that mention jazz hands is a great blog, if you ask me;-)

Shane said...

You're day would have been better if you owned a slave.

LmontgomeryS said...

hi mandy, i don't know you but i found you somehow and started reading and this post made me laugh so hard that i decided to follow you forever! you're welcome.

seriously though, you are very funny. looking forward to following your blog.

lauren