Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens Avon mascara and "What not to Wear," these are a few of my favorite things

I'm no Oprah or Lindsay Ferrier, but does that mean I don't deserve to make a current favorite things list? No! Does that mean anybody wants to know what I get excited about? Probably not!

But you're getting the list anyway. Because you are all at the mercy of my RSS feed. Unless, you know, you unsubscribe.
  1. Avon super-full mascara
    My eyelashes are kind of short and, like the rest of my hair, do not hold a curl (technically, I'm simply too much of a wimp to actually use that torture device they call an eyelash curler). But this is the best mascara I've ever owned, and I was buying the $30 Estee Lauder stuff for a while. It curls and thickens like crazy, doesn't clump, and at the end of the day, my eyelashes still look pretty much the same as when I put the mascara on that morning.

    Plus, at under $10, this is a luxury I can actually afford. (Yes, I bought it on my own; no, they didn't ask me to write a review about it here. I'm just not that important in the blog world.)

  2. The little song my dryer plays when it's done drying clothes
    Especially when Jack sings along with it. Du na na na na na na na naaaaaa dunananana!

  3. Pandora
    God's gift to anybody who works a desk job. Visit the website, type in a few artists that you like, press "quick mix," and you immediately have a perfect "radio station" customized completely for you. Also, if you don't like the song, you can skip to the next one. Indicate whether you like certain songs by pressing thumbs up or thumbs down and it will modify the mix to suit your tastes.

    The other thing I LOVE about Pandora is the ability to legally listen to specifically-chosen music that you aren't inclined to actually buy - I've been listening to soundtracks of musicals all week at work, and while I'm not really inclined to buy all the soundtracks I love, I can still listen to that kind of music until I get sick of it again.

  4. Oreos dipped in milk
    A classic. Even if my husband is a freak, I can still enjoy them.

  5. Rachel Brooke Photography
    My single greatest regret from my wedding (aside from letting Jack give his friends the keys to the truck) was not hiring Rachel Brooke as my photographer while she was still doing weddings. She shot our engagement photos, and I can't get enough of her artistic style and vivid colors. Now she shoots portraits, families and babies and such. I will without a doubt be hiring her for my maternity and baby portriats, and if I ever get the nerve up someday, I might just do this with her too.

  6. Adding black beans and cilantro to store-bought salsa
    And mixing it in the food processor. I've been practically drinking it lately. Can't get enough of it.

  7. Tip Junkie
    I could spend hours here. This is where I have gotten a lot of really great, creative ideas, including the Easter bunny jars! Plus, she feature her readers' ideas, so I've been featured there a few times too, which is fun.

  8. Summer TV shows
    What Not to Wear (TLC): Combining my love of making fun of others with practical fashion? Perfection.

    Ace of Cakes (Food Network): Combining my love of cake, creativity, and prettiness? Also perfection.

    18 Kids and Counting
    (TLC): Something between a freak show and a fabulous Christian witness. Can't. Stop. Watching.

    Better off Ted
    (ABC): Always makes me laugh. Portia de Rossi is fabulous, and their Veridian Dynamics commercials are hilarious.

    The Big Bang Theory
    (CBS): Okay, so the Big Bang Theory is not technically a summer show, but it's so new to me that the episodes are all new to me anyway. Love it.

  9. Overstock.com
    The prices are great and they're easy to return to if you buy clothes that don't fit.

  10. "Slap Ya Momma" Cajun Seasoning
    Yum. If you like Cajun food. And if you do like Cajun food, check out Nate's Steak and Seafood. *Drool*
There are more. But I like even numbers so I will be done with that. Plus, I already listed "adding a shot of caramel to iced coffee" in another post.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to today's Ace of Cakes. I have responsibilities, for crying out loud!

4 comments:

Greg said...

re: Big Bang Theory. Told ya!
:)

Mandy and Jack said...

True story. It's hilarious. Also, did you see I fixed the post a comment link color? Yippee!!

Jessica Latshaw said...

I love this list--especially the super talented photographer (your pics by her are so beautiful, btw)! Too bad I am not often enough in TX to hire her...Thanks for sharing!!!

Mandy and Jack said...

Thanks! Yes, Rachel is amazing. And she is a sweet as she is talented.