Sunday, August 9, 2009

Cajun Chronicle

On Thursday night, I arrived home and noticed that our front lawn was mowed.

Awwww! Jack mowed our lawn! And on his busy day at work too! I thought.

When I got inside, I opened up his laptop, opened a Word document, and typed a nice message to him.

Thank you for mowing our lawn, husband! I love living with you!

When it came time to make dinner, I went into the kitchen and opened the pantry, noticing a box of red beans and rice on one of the shelves.

"Jack loves Cajun food! Since he was so nice to mow the lawn today, I'll make him a special dinner - Cajun grilled chicken, red beans and rice, and fresh green beans," I thought.

And it was an awesome meal. Not only did I go all out with the Cajun-ness (when Jack took his first bite of chicken he made a loud yummy noise and said "you nailed it."), I decided that, for the first time ever, I would cook the fresh green beans the way his mom makes them - boiling them in chicken broth and real bacon - rather than steaming them, which is how I always cook them.

I may have created a monster, because he went crazy over them (and I must admit, they were pretty amazing).

After he had finished eating, he opened his laptop to play a game. Seeing my message, he looked at me, confused.

"Thank you for mowing the lawn?" he read aloud. "I didn't mow the lawn."

"You didn't?" I asked, surprised.

"Nope," he confessed.

Turns out my Dad mowed it. Guess I owe Dad a Cajun dinner.

---

It was day 2 of my Cajun dinner (also known as leftover night). Jack had just put his feet up in his recliner, plate in his lap, and he grabbed the remote to turn our DVD player on. All of the sudden, he lost control of the remote in his hand and dropped it.

Right into his red beans and rice.

"Awwwwwwwwwwwww!" he whined, as he picked up the gooey remote from his dinner plate. As he held it up and stared at it, I recognized the look that flashed across his face.

"No, Jack," I warned. "Don't do it."

"Do what?" he asked, innocently.

"Don't lick the remote," I said. A goofy grin came to his face.

"I thought about it," he replied.

I know you did, Jack. I know you did.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Okay, you have definite skills in many areas but you are a wizard in the kitchen. I could say something like it takes one to know one, but I am not one, so...well, let's just say I have never been able to write a post about a delicious dinner that I have made that consisted of anything cooked in bacon. Drew is lucky if I cook bacon, period. Kudos to you! And lucky Jack :)  

Mandy said...

As much as I’d like to take on the prestigious title of “kitchen wizard,” I don’t think the box of Zatarans red beans and rice and sprinkling pre-mixed Cajun seasoning over raw chicken and throwing it on the grill classifies me as a “wizard.” But thanks! J

julialadewski said...

too funny... i would totally do something like that too... a nice gesture *thinking* it was hubby. 

and hubby would also totally lick the food off the remote.  i think it's a guy thing.

I love your blog.  do you mind if i add it to my "blog roll" on my site??  thanks.

Mandy said...

Of course! That’s so sweet of you! And you’re right – I think it must be a guy thing. :)

Mallory said...

Hah, and Jack thought you were just being a good wife.  :)

Well, I must admit - I've eaten food off a remote before.  But I used my finger to get it off first, so I'm not quite as disgusting.  hahaha.

My future husband is gonna be out of luck.  I can't cook anything that doesn't go in the microwave.

Mandy said...

Oh I’m not saying I wouldn’t have done it. ;-)