Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The girl

Growing up, I was in AWANA, a scripture memorization program at church. When I got a little older, I started going to AWANA camp every summer. From crafts to games to Bible studies to chapels, it was exactly what you would expect a church camp experience would be. I met a lot of other AWANA kids, most of whose names I no longer remember.

But there was one girl. A girl I looked forward to seeing year after year.

The girl who spoke gently and quietly; the girl who was always kind even when she didn't feel like it.

The girl who whispered back to me long after lights-out and giggled in the darkness as our counselor shushed us.

The girl who shared my obsession with "Adventures in Odyssey" and the relationship between Connie and Mitch in the millionth AIO season.

The girl who ran like mad with me to the morning game circle as the closing phrases of "Stars and Stripes Forever" blared over the speaker, foreshadowing our humiliation if we arrived late.

The girl who laughed and laughed when I knocked on the bathroom door in our cabin and asked if she was lonely in there.

The girl I never forgot, even long after I stopped going to camp.

Remember in Anne of Green Gables, when Anne's all cheesy and annoying about how Diana is her "bosom friend?" Kindred spirits, they were.

I'll spare you the drama and the precociousness of an Anne Shirley impression, but if there was anybody in this world I think God specifically placed in my life beautifully, purposefully, and permanently, it's this girl.

(This picture is from camp when we were about 14ish?)


These days, I know her as the girl who persevered through school despite outrageous challenges. The girl who chose nursing as a career because of her desire to help others.

The girl who you can make blush ridiculously easily. (She's blushing right now reading this, actually.)

The girl who screams at the television right along with my husband as their beloved Cowboys lose game after game.

The girl who knocked on my bathroom door on my wedding day and asked if I was lonely in there.

The girl with a heart for missions. The girl who wants to marry a man who loves Jesus more than he loves her. (The girl who's single, by the way, gentlemen! ;-) And now she's definitely blushing.)

The girl who still whispers and giggles with me late into the night every time we get together.

She's the girl I know my daughters will look up to when they want to see a woman of God. The kind of girl I want my sons to grow up and marry.

Friendships like these do not come along often, and not a day goes by that I do not feel infinitely blessed by this one.

Happy birthday, Angela!

8 comments:

Jamie McLaughlin said...

Awww Happy Birthday Mandy's AWANA camp bosom friend Angela!!! I love anne of green gables btw. I can't wait till my girls are old enough for those books.

Jim Crawford said...

I teared up (how masculine am I!).  Not because what you wrote was so touching but because what little I know of Angela makes me realize how terribly inadequate words are when you try to describe how wonderful that little girl is.  If I could get one like that, I'd have another daughter tomorrow (and be 75 when she got out of college).

Jim Crawford said...

I teared up (how masculine am I!).  Not because what you wrote was so touching but because what little I know of Angela makes me realize how terribly inadequate words are when you try to describe how wonderful that little girl is.  If I could get one like that, I'd have another daughter tomorrow (and be 75 when she got out of college).

Katie C. said...

very sweet post!  I too was once obsessed with AIO and the Mitch and Connie relationship. :)

Katie C. said...

very sweet post!  I too was once obsessed with AIO and the Mitch and Connie relationship. :)

julialadewski said...

aww... how sweet!!  hey, can you email me?  wondering if you'll make me a button... i want to start something called "Faith Friday".  let me know!! :)

nathan said...

Of all the girls I've ever known, Angela is one of (maybe) three girls who always resembles Christ in all of her life. She's absolutely amazing!

Angela said...

Mr. Crawford - I loved what you wrote on my facebook wall and here on Mandy's page!  You all are so wonderful - God has blessed me beyond belief!  ...and don't worry about the tearing up - I did too!

Mandy - you're amazing!  And I miss you so much!  You are one of the most incredible people I know!  I love you!  Thank you for making me feel so special!!  May God bless you literally beyond your wildest imagination!!!

And thanks Puddles :)   A wonderful encourager and brother as always!  Even if you do send me sexually explicit birthday cards ;)