Saturday, September 19, 2009

Midnight rant in which I say "seriously?" a lot

I have to be up in six hours. But I'm watching wedding shows on TLC. And they're making me mad.

Why do brides think they need $11,000 dresses? You wear it once!! Do you know how much that kind of money can do for so many organizations? Seriously. Ugh.

My dress was beautiful (if I do say so myself) and it was $300. I'm not saying you should only spend $300, but seriously. $11,000. Seriously.

Even worse, why the heck do moms, friends, bridesmaids, etc. think they get any say in what dress these women choose to get married in!? Seriously!! If a bride comes out in a dress and says she loves it, your answer should be "I'm so glad you feel beautiful! That's the one, then!"

Why do people cry at weddings? I realize this one is very common, but seriously. Why are you crying? You're supposed to be happy! (I have no soul.)

Ugh. Seriously. I hate TLC.

You know, except when I love it.

6 comments:

Jessica Latshaw said...

love the polka dots, by the way.

And yes, $11,000 is A LOT. It's hard for me to fathom spending that much on a piece of clothing. I mean, you'll still end up married whether you have an astronomically expensive dress on or not, right?

I don't really get it.

But I do get crying at weddings.

Kind of.

For me, it's that part of life where change comes in; when the parents let go of a kid, acknowledging that they are an adult, that they have their own little family now; that all the years of being small and giving them cough medicine at 3 am, or driving them to slumber parties and waking up together on Christmas morning are giving way to something else. Something beautiful, absolutely, but a change nonetheless. A chapter closed and a new chapter started.

And yes, all of this can make me cry.

Kimberly said...

TLC is crazy when it comes to all of the expenses.
I wonder if TLC is picking up the bill or if the family is paying for everything.
My daughter isn't allowed to watch TLC anymore cause she was thinking I was going to pay for her whole wedding..NOT!!
My wedding dress was about $100...both of them!

Mandy and Jack said...

Okay, Jessica, I'll allow you to cry. Because obviously you have a soul.

And Kimberly, I doubt TLC is picking up the bill on most of it. I'm guessing they get free videography or something.

cindi said...

We must have been watching at the same time, because I know exactly what you're talking about. I waver between sympathy for the women who must listen to every female relative in their family to outrage at those who think that no one on the planet has ever gotten married before and their wedding should be broadcast on all major networks. Why do I do this to myself? The only other show that I get so worked up over is "wife Swap." You should really sheck that one out if you wanna blow your top and say seriously way too many times. Seriously.

Mandy and Jack said...

I know!! They're ridiculous. They're all "it's been suuuuuuuuuch a long time coming and this is sooooooo right and yay for us and blahhhhhhhh blahhhh blahhhhh."

And I'm thinking "what are you going to do when he can't provide the zillions of dollars with which you evidently require to live up to your standards?"

Ahh, oh well. I think I'll skip "Wife Swap" too. I don't need any more frustration. I'm switching back to "Friends." It never makes me mad! :)

life4jesus05 said...

You might be watching "Say Yes to the Dress"... haha, I had a shocking response to that mom too!

And I totally agree about wedding dresses, crying, and prices - and btw I LOVE you in your dress. Mm stunningly enchanting!!