Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sweet

Burt died an unfortunate and untimely death when his new owner decided that texting while driving would be a good idea.

It wasn't.

Jack and I have some good friends who happen to be the daughter and son-in-law of my former band director, Mr. G.

One day, we were at lunch with their whole family after church, when we started talking about poor Burt and the idiotic way he died.

"Yeah, the kid was texting and driving and ran into the back of the car in front of him," I said.

They laughed and gave each other knowing looks, while I went into a Mandy-rant.

"I mean, how dumb do you have to be to text while driving! You might as well be drunk!"

"Yeah," Christelle said glancing at her dad, "you're right."

"I just don't understand why anybody does it. These idiots should be arrested," I continued.

Mr. G gave me a sheepish look as his daughters and wife started laughing harder and harder with each passionate and harsh word in my oblivious rant.

"Yeah, I really should stop doing that," he admitted.

And then I realized why they were laughing. I just called my former band director an idiot who should be arrested.

Gulp.

Open mouth. Insert foot.

But you know what? As much as they teased me about giving Mr. G trouble about texting and driving, I stand by what I said. It's stupid. It's irresponsible. It's dangerous. It's not okay.

So why my cousin tweeted today that a truck was going 30 mph on the highway, I tweeted back with a "DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE YOU IDIOT!"

Then, she tweeted AGAIN on the highway! So I twelled (that's twitter yelled) at her again about it. A while later, she tweeted that not to worry, she was texting from home now. This is what followed (read bottom to top):


Somebody's got to be the immature ones.

----

If you missed it before, please visit Survival Mode Parent and sign up to be a volunteer. Also, visit this post to see how you can get a free blog makeover!

3 comments:

Jacky said...

Mandy, you crack me up! The Twitter conversation? I almost died laughing. I hope to avoid "twext" forever...=D

Mandy said...

Yeah, there are some things you just shouldn't tweet! ;-)

Shane Crawford said...

Emailing while driving is okay, though. Just as long as you don't use SMS.