Saturday, October 17, 2009

24 points

Today, Jack took me to dinner for our (my) birthday celebration. Since getting married, our (my) birthdays have been a little (a lot) overlooked, since our anniversary is right between our birthdays, which are only a month apart to begin with. We decided that waiting six months to do our annual "fancy birthday dinner" would be a good idea, so we could spread out the celebrations and actually celebrate my birthday because it's important for crying out loud!

Anyway.

We decided to go to Melting Pot, because we had never been there before and I had always wanted to go. The food? Ah-mazing. And I think I said "this is so much fun!" roughly 2,519 times.

Jack also surprised me with a birthday present, which was truly unexpected, since, you know, it's not my real birthday. I told him he got points for that, and when he asked how many, I told him "six."

"Six?" He asked.

"Yes," I replied. "You get six for a present, and seven for a fancy dinner. So you should note that you can get points much easier by buying small presents than expensive dinners."

"Oh I see what you're trying to do," he replied, playfully. "So what's my total point-count right now, then?"

"24." I replied, thoughtfully. "You have six for the present, seven for the dinner, six for Thursday's flowers, two because you went to work today, and three for working on the bathroom tile today."

--

At one point during the meal, we were waiting for another course and the flat burner in the middle of the table was still hot. Jack and I noticed the heat coming off of it and began talking about it.

"What do you think would happen if I put this almond on there?" he asked, pointing to an almond that had fallen off of his salad plate. I hesitated, and a huge smile spread across his face. "You want to see what happens, don't you?"

"Yes," I admitted. "I kind of do." So he pushed it on to the burner. And it wasn't all that interesting. He pushed it to my side with a fork. "Toasted almond?" he offered. He turned his attention back to the hot burner.

"What do you think would happen if I spit on it?" he asked, curiously.

"If you spit on that, I will not be happy with you," I warned, mortified that he would think of such a thing.  "That's definitely -30 points, which leaves you with a -6."

"That's okay," he replied. "That's only one present away from positive numbers."

--

In case you were wondering, Jack did not spit on the burner. He did, however, put a few droplets of water on it from his water glass. As anticipated, it sizzled.

6 comments:

Sarah D said...

So glad you went to the Melting Pot! It's my #1 favorite restaurant. I am sure you left absolutely stuffed, but I always enjoy the drawn out fun of eating good food in a romantic environment. Maybe sometime we could go together just for dessert!

Keli said...

I love your blog, I have been reading for several months, but don't think I have ever commented. I love the Melting Pot too! I also recently learned that your are friends with Ellyn of Profoundly Seth. Her blog is great and her kids are adorable. I am a new blogger, so it is a learning experience at this point.

Mandy and Jack said...

Thanks, Keli!!! I do love me some Ellyn!! Glad you're blogging. Keep at it, and it pretty soon it'll be like a third arm. Except less strange.

Mrs.LifeAccounts said...

Ohhh great choice on melting pot! The hubs and I go there for most of our big milestones and special occasions! We went after taking each part of our cpa exam and there was nothing better than sitting and taking a test for several hours and having hot melted cheese to look forward to. Their new big night out cheese is delicious (although the quadro formagio was a tough one to beat), to be honest, the hubs and I have an upsoken rule when we go now. Forget the salads and the oil and meat...it's all about the cheese and chocolate. Our typical order is 2 cheese, 1 chocolate and a chocolate fontini to share. :)

Mandy and Jack said...

Ooo that's a good idea! But the meat was soooo good too!! :)

Erin Sullivan Haynes said...

I agree with everyone, the Melting Pot is soooo good. Tanner took me there on Valentine's weekend, after he proposed. If you go on a nationally recognized "special day" (which I'm sure you're birthday will become someday) such as Valentines, they'll give you complimentary champagne and a rose, and snap your picture :) The meat is DELICIOUS, and I felt so sad for the skinny couple next to us doing the grill option as opposed to the bubbling vat of oil option.