Friday, October 9, 2009

AWANA stories this week

Before AWANA started, I was talking to the twin girls in my group about their birthday, which had been the day before.

"So, how was it?" I asked one of them, excitedly.

"Not so great," she answered. "It was our first birthday since our parents got divorced."

Ouch.

---

In council time, a boy was supposed to read a passage aloud from 1 Samuel.

"And Saul and the men of Israel were gathered together, and pitched by the valley of Elah..." he read, pronouncing "Elah" like "Ella."

Behind him, another little boy spoke up loudly.

"It's EE-lah," he corrected.

What the heck, kid? You're 8! I don't even know how that's supposed to be pronounced!

---

And my personal favorite:

I have this super-sweet, super-quiet, super-mature little girl in my group. She's seriously like a tiny adult. And I know I'm not supposed to have favorites, but let's be honest, she's totally one of my favorites.

As she said her final verse in a section, she made me laugh out loud.

"Romans 3:23," she recited. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Boo-ya!"

1 comments:

kranderson said...

Hi Mandy,
My name is Kim Anderson and I work at Awana headquarters in Chicago. I just read your blog post about your experiences as an Awana leader and I'd love to hear more! I also read that you've been involved with Awana since you were 4--that's incredible!

I work as the Web copywriter at Awana and have the privilege of talking with people and hearing how God has and is using the ministry of Awana. Often these stories are posted on the Awana Web site.

Is there a time we could talk in the next week or two? Feel free to e-mail me at kima@awana.org and let me know what might work for your schedule.

I look forward to connecting with you!
Kim