Sunday, October 11, 2009

My sunflowers

I came home from work to find workers in my front yard. A lot of workers. They were almost finished with their work, and I was really quite shocked to find them all there.

You see, they were redoing all our landscaping, which I been wanting so much to do since before Jack and I got married. Turns out, Jack had hired a company to completely clear out the ugly old bushes that I hated and plant a beautiful new garden. He did it as a surprise for me, and surprised I was.

And it was gorgeous. The sunflowers stood out the most. They were absolutely perfect, and radiated cheerfulness. They screamed "your husband knows you so well!!" There were pinks. Blues. Oranges. Purples. I was captivated by its beauty and felt so blessed that my husband had arranged such a big gift for me. And as a surprise at that!

And then I woke up.

It was such a realistic dream (I've been having a lot of ridiculously realistic (and even some super-weird) dreams lately), that I actually asked Jack about it and checked our front yard. Alas, there was no beautiful garden out there. Just the same, sad, overgrown bushes. Sigh.

So that (along with today's crisp Fall weather and the fact that I didn't have much interest in watching football) motivated me to get back out into the front yard and once again, start digging.

You see, I've been battling with the front yard for a while. The bushes have been there for 12 years, so as you can imagine, the root systems of said bushes are quite large at this point.

In the Spring, we hired some kids to dig them out for us so we could start over. $250 later, we still had roots. Note to self: high school students are not reliable. So I started to dig them out myself. I got about 25% of the roots dug out by the time we started getting 105 degree days, and I'm sorry, but I'm just not that committed to the project. So they waited. And if you leave roots alone for a summer? They grow. And now it's Fall. And so not only did they still need to be dug out, but they needed to be trimmed down. So this week I've been trimming. And today I dug.


The day Jack and I bought it, crazy bushes and all - July 2008



And today


1997, right after my grandfather redid all our landscaping



Today

It's not finished (or close to finished) by any means, but it's progress.

Someday, I will have my sunflowers.

--

Sidenote: The nice thing about the house always being yours - pictures of it at all stages. This was right after we bought it in 1990. Yes, that's me in the little blue shorts, and my brother on top of the car. We were 4 and 7.


0 comments: