Monday, October 19, 2009

Unsolicited advice of the day: It's Generous to be Selfish

I am not a high maintenance gift receiver. I will take any gift at any time from anyone. I love gifts. Big, small, free, expensive, cheap. I don't care. Gifts, gifts, gifts. Gimmie, gimmie gimmie.

Now, before you start thinking I'm a selfish brat (possibly true), I would like to qualify that last paragraph my saying that receiving gifts is my love language. No really, that's a real thing. Jack's love language is acts of service.

So essentially, you can buy my love.

So it's no surprise that I really like my birthday month (I take the entire month of March. No joke.) and Christmas. And any other holiday I can get away with asking for presents for. I've even been known to get presents on somebody else's birthday.

So when somebody asks what I want for a birthday or Christmas? I have answer. For as long as I can remember, I've even had a wishlist on the web that I can direct grandparents/parents/family to when they asked what I wanted. It's not because I'm greedy, and it's not because I am upset if they go off-list to get something else they would think that I'd like. It's because I want to make their lives easier. Because it makes my life easier when I know what they want.

Anyway, for those of you who aren't quite so spoiled and bratty as I am, let me tell you why you should be.

Think about that person who is always difficult to shop for. Most likely, they either don't want anything (or won't tell you what they want because they don't want to put you out or seem greedy), or they buy themselves everything they want as soon as they want it. Boooo. That sucks for those of us who like to give presents (Yes. I do like to give them too. Love language, I tell you!).

For those of you who don't tell people what they want as not to put them out? Shaaame. Shame on you. Because it takes twice, nay, thrice as long to find a gift for you.

So start your lists before these here holidays, people. The great thing about the Internet Machine these days is that there are so many ways to keep track of your wishlist. Amazon! Target wishlist! Overstock wishlist! A blog entry with links! And my favorite way? Google Shopping List! Visit the site, search products, click "add to shopping list" when you find one you want, then click "share" under the item in your shopping list and instantly you have a linkable list you can share with your family.

Add a variety of items of various price ranges (I have everything from Lipton Green Tea to DVDs/CDs to a super-fancy SLR camera on mine) so that people can get you little things or big things.

When your friends don't have to think so hard to figure out what you'd like, they won't waste their money on things you won't want, and they won't waste their time trying to figure it out on their own.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Yeah! Yay you for making lists! I love Amazon wishlist because you can get a button on your internet toolbar that will add stuff from other sites. for example, I have Gap giftcards and some cake decorator stuff that you can't buy from Amazon on my Amazon list. They'll just link you over to the appropriate site :D

Jacky said...

Hey Mandy!

I haven't been by in a while, but I do read every post! I just need to learn faithful commenting skills...=)

I, too, am one of those "selfish" people; gifts are my love language! Any gift makes me happy. Sometimes I think my sweetheart buys me little things to see my reaction. And of course, I don't mind. =D

~Jacky

(formerly found blogging at The Sweetest Petunia, now moved to start again at {This Time Around} =)

onthistimearound.blogspot.com

El said...

We really, really were separated at birth. I also love gifts. But only if it's something I wanted. lol.

aggieonboard said...

Ah, the love languages. His is physical affection. Mine's acts of service. Together we are a cheesy sitcom minus the laugh track.

I'm one of those people who doesn't know what they want; gifts came in dead last for me. Feel free to buy me a Kindle or fancypants camera; other than that I've got nothing.

Mrs.LifeAccounts said...

YES! Gifts is my love language as well, hubs is acts of service and words of affirmation. I love gifts, the hubs let me open pretty much all of our wedding presents and cards and just watched me because he knew how much fun it was for me to rip the paper off. Yes, it is possible to buy my affection, haha, we were actually just talking about the other night!

Erin Sullivan Haynes said...

This Google shopping list is so cool! Thanks for alerting me to it. I've made a Christmas list every year for my mom since childhood. She usually asks for one to be submitted around this time of year -- she likes to get a head start. I recently upgraded from hand-written to a Word doc, but now I see I can be even more technologically advanced!