Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanks-cooking (and the winner!)

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone, and once again, it was a lovely meal with much to be thankful for. Since Jack's family are freaks is different than mine, they have ham for Thanksgiving instead of turkey (whaaa???). But because his mom is so sweet, she also makes a turkey breast for me when I visit for Thanksgiving. So I can't complain too much, I guess. (Except that I do.)

Anyway, I made my favorite cream corn and the mashed potatoes for the dinner since I'm supposed to be an adult now and therefore actually contribute to the cooking as opposed to, you know, sitting around and intermittently napping while my mother-in-law does all the work. Not that I'd consider doing that. But sometimes, I'm guessing people wish that I would just get out of the kitchen and let the professionals do their jobs. Because, this may come as a shock to you, but I am not a good cook.

I'm not a bad cook because I don't know how to cook. I can follow a Sandra Lee recipe like nobody's business. It's that I make bad decisions while cooking.

Like when I didn't put any water in the crockpot with my roast and came home to this. Appetizing, no?

Or when I decided to just substitute beef base for lobster base in my Cajun lobster sauce. Evidently you can't just substitute those two things, because it tasted like seawater and death.

Or when I had some extra imitation crab meat so decided to "just wing" crab cakes. Poor choice.

And who could forget the time I made soup for my friends who just had a baby and tried to transport it in a crockpot in my car? Guess what! Soup doesn't travel well! (Though I will say that I drive much more safely with a crockpot full-to-the-brim of soup in my front seat). I think you can do the math on how that one turned out.

But God bless my husband, with his low food standards, who's content to eat hamburger helper, cereal, or pizza pockets when I've burned or screwed up dinner in some way, and who brags on me to his friends with a very generous "she's getting to be a good cook!" comment every now and then.

But one thing I can't complain about, is the amount of awesome cookware I have to mess up my meals with. And cookware was one of the things you could have chosen to win in my giveaway last week!

OH EM GEE THAT WAS THE BEST TRANSITION EVER DID YOU SEE THAT?

Anyway, so you want to know who won said contest? ME TOO!

And the winner is...



Anne said...

I would get the Cotton Tale Lollipops and Roses Hamper With Frame by N.Selby - LRHP or just do a bunch of toys for my kids Christmas gifts!
Congratulations, Anne! Thanks to everyone for entering!

3 comments:

Jessica Latshaw said...

I'm right there with you with the whole cooking (or not so much) thing. Here's to one day actually learning how to do it and learning it well!

Kate Craig said...

ahhh I'm so with you! And I LOVE Sandra Lee

Wendi said...

"Seawater and death." That'd be an awesome band name, anyway.