Thursday, December 24, 2009

"I was just going to play one more level."

My dad always said that the mark of a truly great video game is when your wife walks into the room at 3 in the morning and says "Do you know what time it is?"

Jack got a new video game last night. And evidently it's a good one. Because I fell asleep on the couch around 2 a.m., Shane left the house at 4 a.m., and I woke up at 7 to light streaming through my dining room window and the sound of my husband still shooting bad guys.

"What time is it?" I asked him, groggily.

"Um..." he hesitated, knowing I would not be happy with his answer. "It's... 7 a.m."

"Seven?" I asked, in a tired haze but still aware that my husband is a loon. "You stayed up all night playing this game?"

"Um..." he hesitated again, not looking away from the screen. "Yes."

"Oh, Jack, it's Christmas Eve... and... you're going to be... sleepy..." And I went back to sleep. Because I am just so committed to my husband's healthy sleeping habits.

An hour and a half later, he woke me up again.

"Um... sweetie?" he said, in his most syrupy voice as he shook me awake. "It's... uh, time to go to bed!"

I opened my eyes and looked at him quizzically.

"Really?" I asked. "Time to go to bed? What time is it now?"

He gave me kind of a goofy smile and told me it was 8:30.

"Seems like we should really be getting up then, not going to bed." I replied.

And then I went to bed with him and slept until noon.

Because I am nothing if not a supportive wife.
blog comments powered by Disqus