Friday, December 18, 2009

Nice work, public school system

I walk into a restaurant and tell the girl at the hostess stand that I would like to buy a gift card.

"Okay," she says. "How much would you like the gift card to be?"

"$30," I reply.

"Well," she says "we're running a special where you get another $5 gift certificate if you get a $25 gift card."

"That's great!" I reply. "Can I get the extra $5 gift certificate when I buy a $30 gift card?"

"Um," she hesitates, clearly taken aback by the question. "I... don't... think so..."

Since she obviously doesn't realize that a $30 gift card does in fact have the minimum $25 requirement in it, I decide to play along, since the recipient of the gift card wouldn't mind.

"Alright," I say. "If that's the case, I would like to buy one $25 gift card, and then another $5 gift card."

"You mean you want to buy a $25 gift card and get the free $5?" I have her dumbfounded.

"No," I speak slower. "I still want to spend $30 here. I would like to buy a $25 gift card, then I would like the free $5 gift certificate. Then, I would like to buy another $5 gift card."

She has me repeat the sequence again and then begins repeating it back to me very, very slowly. As she does, a manager walks up behind her and begins to listen.

"You know," the manager says to me, "you can just get one $30 gift card and we'll give you the $5 gift certificate."

I smile. "Why, that's a great idea! I'd like to do that then."
blog comments powered by Disqus