Saturday, December 26, 2009

Orange you glad you don't have to go to work Monday?

I'm beginning to realize that good ideas do not originate in the drug store hair color aisle.

When I was in high school, it was about 1 a.m. when my best friend and I decided it would be a brilliant idea to go get hair color right then and try highlighting our hair.

It did not go well.

Elizabeth's hair wasn't terrible. It definitely wasn't the color on the box, but it was okay. But mine? Was bright neon orange.

I would post a picture of it from that night, but I can't because there aren't any. Because I didn't allow that. Which is probably a really good thing. But I do have this picture of what it looked like after they darkened it back up a little:



Needless to say, it took a lot of hair coloring appointments to get it back to normal. I wasn't exactly looking to be a redhead at that point in time. But that's okay; it did finally get back to normal. I even got to be blond for a while after we got the orange out of it. Live and learn, right?

Evidently not.

Because last night, when I was with my mother-in-law in the hair color aisle, I picked up a box. And I thought, I've been wanting to make a change for a few months now. I could be blond again. And when I asked Jack what he thought about it, he said "whatever."

And so tonight my mother-in-law colored my hair. And it turned orange again. Not neon-orange like it did in high school, mind you, but orangey-blond none-the-less.

And I looked at everybody and was all "it'll fade before I go back to work on Tuesday, right? Right? Right?" And they all looked back at me and at each other and were awkwardly silent as if I had just asked them if my butt looked big in these pants.

I guess I'll be making a trip to the salon sometime this weekend.

When I Googled this orange-blond thing, the internet machine told me that it was pretty common to get orange when you try to go blond. Fantastic. Could have used that information about 4 hours ago, Google.

When Jack saw it and I asked him what he thought, he kind of gave me a tight-lipped smile and said "um, it's different.... I liked your old color better."

Hopefully, the next time I ask him if I should buy blond hair color, he'll learn to use the phrase "Honey, I don't think that's such a good idea."
blog comments powered by Disqus