Thursday, December 24, 2009

Sibling Rivalry

There was a time, about 7 years ago, when my brother, Shane, and Jack did not get along.

Actually, that's putting it pretty mildly. That hated one another.

Shane didn't like that Jack was so much older than I (7 years, to be exact) and "after" his little sister. Which was odd, considering that Shane never really played the role of the protective big brother until Jack came along. Jack didn't like Shane's attitude toward him as a result. They clashed in a big way, and to be perfectly honest, it was almost a deal-breaker for me.

A few years into the relationship, Shane saw that Jack wasn't just trying to get into my pants, and after a trip to Boston to visit my brother and sister-in-law, Shane and Jack became quite the pair. Actually, they became a dangerous pair, since their bad habits rubbed off on each other (mostly Shane's on Jack).

For example, Shane taught Jack how to walk by and unhook a girl's bra through the back of her shirt without her knowing. Um, yeah, that's a fun one. My sister-in-law says that sometimes she'll be walking around later and realize her bra is unhooked and not know when he did it. My brother, ladies and gentlemen.

And on his last trip up, Shane informed Jack that if he wanted something from his wife, like an ice cream sandwich, he simply starts making a very loud, very irritating sound until she's so fed up with him that she says "What can I do to make you stop making that noise!?"

Hopefully as long as shouting out things he wants works for him, Jack will keep the annoying noises to a minimum. Though I'll be honest, the man talks a lot.

Anyway, my point is that there was a time when I figured my only two options were to 1) live with the fact that one of them was actually going to kill the other, or 2) dump Jack if I had any hope of hanging out with my brother when I got married.

But tonight? Tonight my brother bought my husband an Xbox so that he could play together when Shane's in Boston (Shane calls it "the Xbox that he's going to keep at our house"). And they are playing a new game together. And they are laughing. A lot.


 
And even though I may not ever see my husband without a video game controller in his hand again, this is exactly the way life was supposed to turn out.
blog comments powered by Disqus