Saturday, December 26, 2009

Surviving the salon



I love how supportive my blog readers are. You're all "Awwwww man that sucks; I'm sure it'll be okay, but more importantly, WHERE ARE THE PICTURES OF YOU LOOKING RIDICULOUS!?"

Never fear, internets. I clearly have lost all shame, because I did indeed take a "before" picture this morning while my hair was a shade of platinum orange before we headed to the salon. Dance, monkey, dance!



The back actually wasn't too bad. It's the top and front that turned the most orange. It did, however, turn out much lighter than I was going for (which is odd, considering I bought the box called "lightest blond." OMG who knew?)

So my mother-in-law and I got to the salon this morning where I usually get my hair cut, and when I walked in, all the stylists stared at me, wide-eyed and as if I had a bomb strapped to my chest.

"Um. My hair is orange," I said, matter-of-factly, as if they couldn't tell. "And I would like it not to be."

They continued staring, silently, for long enough to make my mother-in-law and me both uncomfortable. Then, they slowly approached me, and had me sit down in a chair, and started arguing amongst themselves.

"This is going to be a two-step process," one of them said. "We're going to need to strip parts of it using foil and then color it."

"No, we need to just use this shade of color," another cut in.

Then there was more yelling... a lot of "blah blah blah Ginger" and I sat back and kind of wondered if I had any say in it at all. At some point, my mother-in-law asked how much experience she actually had coloring hair, and the lady goes "Oh, a lot. I've done a lot of famous peoples' hair."

Um, okay. Is there an "a lot" to "years" conversion chart I can look at, maybe?

When we asked how much it would be, she answered "$45 an hour, and since it's a 2-step process, it's going to end up being two hours." Alright, that's called a dumb-tax. I can live with that.

Then, after we decided on a color, the lady went to the back and got on the phone with her manager, came back 20 minutes later, and told me that she couldn't possibly charge less than $65 an hour since she has so much experience with this."

"Um, okay, but you just quoted us $45 per hour," we replied, a little annoyed that she was changing her tune a half hour after we actually got there.

"Well, a lot of people come in here and pay $300 for a hair color. Are you willing to pay that?"

Um, no. I'm not, actually, since you quoted $90 to begin with. Also, I was back and forth on whether to even come here in the first place or head back to the drug-store and buy another super-dark color and do this all over again.

I'm a quick learner, I know.

But long story short, she basically told us it would be at least $150 after she had quoted $90 to begin with, so we left, sure to heed her "you won't find a better price than that! It's going to be expensive!"

We went across the street and found a better price. In fact, it was $45 total, she knew exactly what to do with it, and I was really pretty happy with the result.


There's a little before and after for you.

It's still a little redder than I'd like, but I've done this before and it fades. And I can live with a brown-red before I can live with a platinum-blond-orange. I had wanted a change, and I got it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to cut my bangs by myself. Because I'm just full of good hair decisions lately.
blog comments powered by Disqus