Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Annoying or Harmful?

Awana will be starting up again tomorrow night, and even though I'm happy about that, it was kind of nice to have a break. I mean, I love Awana, I really do. Just ask these guys. They think I'm way better than I am. Trust me.

Because if I was really as good as they portrayed me in that article, I wouldn't have to spend so much mental energy each Awana night trying to decide which of the battles I should pick when reprimanding the kids.

I try not to spend the whole night telling the kids to STOP IT! STOP IT RIGHT NOW! We want Awana to be fun for them, after all.

So when they're doing something I don't like, I ask myself one question:

Is it harmful, or just annoying?

Because let's face it, 9-year-olds do some annoying things. Some really annoying things. So I end up asking that question to myself a lot during the evening.

One of them is hanging off my arm when I'm trying to listen to somebody else's verses.

Annoying, not harmful. I grit my teeth and let it go.

Another is standing on the color line and trying to trip the kids running around the circle.

Harmful. Probably should prevent that from happening.

Playing a "can you slap my hands before I move them" game while waiting for council time to start?

Annoying.

Playing a "can you slap my face before I move it" game while waiting for council time to start?

Harmful.

Bouncing a ball over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (and over and over) while they wait for their parents?

Annoying.

Throwing said ball as high as they can against the sanctuary wall?

Harmful. To the church, at least.

Having a kid beg, plead, implore, and beseech me (over and over and over!) to pu-lease give her the balloon that's in my hands?

Annoying.

Tackling another 9-year-old to gain possession of said balloon?

Harmful.

You get the idea.

So far, the girls seem relatively happy, I'm not yelling at them all the time, and at least for now, they're all still alive.

So I guess that means it's a pretty solid system.

6 comments:

Tabi said...

Love this post! I should use the tactic this time with my own children! I am trying to be a more patient mother!

Mandy and Jack said...

It helps. Though to be fair, I'm only with these kids three hours a week.

thehardyparty said...

I just stumbled into your blog yesterday, but this post was hilarious. I help teach a bible class to middleschoolers at church. It's only once a week and it's still a miracle that everyone leaves without me severing some limb or other. My only defense for myself is that there are about 50 of them and one of me....

Mandy and Jack said...

Good call. They could totally take you.

Mrs.LifeAccounts said...

Ahahaha, reading this post brings back so many memories. I used to run a preschool/nursery at a school and I could have up to 20 kids BY MYSELF in diapers, potentially several babies that all were of the age requiring holding, crawling kids who if not watched carefully could eat food or who knows what off the floor along with 3-4 year olds who do EVERYTHING you just mentioned in your post. Ahhhh and this is why I am content to wait just a little bit longer before having my own kids! Although my kids will OF COURSE be SOOOO different and WILL NEVER do ANYTHING like that!

Mandy and Jack said...

Hahaha. I'm right with you there, MLA.