Wednesday, February 10, 2010

And then God said "YEEEAAAHH!"

Sometimes, God just gives you a little boost, doesn't He? On the days that you're like "Um, hey God, this is a lot of work. Are you sure this is what I'm supposed to be doing?" and He's like "YEEEAAAHH!"

Okay, so I don't know if God says "YEEEAAAHH!" But I like to think he does. Just like I like to think he gives high-fives in Heaven. (YES, this was a deep, theological discussion at work the other day. "Do you think God gives high fives?" Because these are the kinds of things we think about. I KNOW. WE ARE SO DEEP.)

I digress. (I was going for a "deep, meaningful post" with this one, but let's be honest. I am neither deep nor meaningful.)

But this tweet was:

At least, for me it was. Because when I started Survival Mode Parent, this was exactly what I had in mind. Laundry! Toilets! Mail! Lawn! Stuff I can do for people who can't wrap their mind around fabric softener because their kid is fighting for his life.

But I'll be honest. I haven't had a lot of time for SMP lately. All of the legal stuff is hovering in my mind and in my bank account like Thestrals. (Yes, that was for you, Jess.) 

I know I should be filling out paperwork to get everything in order for the incorporation and tax-deductible status, especially when I've generously been given the resources to just do it already. I know I should be recruiting more volunteers so I can better serve the needs of parents, wherever they are. And I know I should be sending stuff to hospitals so they can tell the parents that there is help for them out there.

But then there's that pesky full time job, and being a co-captain of my BikeMS Team, and being an Awana leader, and the blog design orders, three CTs, and oh yeah, am I married to somebody or something too? 

I don't list these things to complain, because really, I wouldn't trade them for anything. Every single one of those activities is something I'm wildly passionate about (minus the blog orders, which I could take or leave, though I suspect that if I left I'd have quite a few angry bloggers waiting for their orders... even longer!) 

My point is, when it comes right down to it, I don't have a kid in the hospital (and never have). Or a special needs kid. Or a kid at all. I don't have a heck of a lot that I have to worry about, when you really think about it.

But somebody out there can't even think about their laundry.

And that kind of puts it in perspective, doesn't it?

--

And a shameless Survival Mode Parent plug, though that's not why I wrote this post, but let's be honest, I'll work them in anywhere... for crying out loud, I sent out SMP business cards with my Christmas cards - If you'd like to sign up to be a Survival Mode Parent volunteer, you can do it here.
blog comments powered by Disqus