Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Happy Spring!


It's Spring on the blog! Finally. See, Lori? It's not Valentine's Day any more. Told you I'd get around to it sometime.

So, my external hard drive crashed. AGAIN. That's the one I keep all my pictures, video, blog designs, and digital scrapbook stuff on. Fortunately, I had backed up the pictures and videos and didn't lose any of those.

The digital scrapbook stuff, however? Crashed and burned. The last time I backed it up was in November. And if I hadn't just bought a bunch of new kits and organized everything all pretty-like, it wouldn't be quite so heart-breaking, but it looks like I lost about 46 kits. I'm in the process of asking the designers from whom I bought them if I can re-download, but I feel like an idiot and I don't even know if they'll give them back, since they don't have to and all. (Big thank you to Chrissy W Digital, Ramona , and Kelly for doing extra work to let me re-download their stuff!) Also, a bunch of the kits I lost are the same ones I lost last time, so I'll have to ask my CT designers for the same kits again. Which, again, Mandy = moron.

But there are worse things in life.

Like not having a flower bed to do any gardening this beautiful spring. But guess what! I wouldn't know anything about that, because, behold:


A blank canvas!

We spent all day Sunday making this one tiny side of the front yard look like this. It's something I've been dreaming of for years. Having a flower bed instead of a mass of ugly, tangled stumps and roots. And trust me when I tell you that it was a serious mess.

Exhibit A:

The part above my hand was the part of the root that was showing above ground. The part below my hand? Was what we pulled out from under the ground.


20 years of letting it grow will do that, I guess.

Some people might dig them out, or cut them off and kill them, or hire somebody to do whatever it is they do, but we? Had one of these:


This is my dad's cherry-picker from his shop. And it is a MONSTER. An amazing, God-sent monster. It took this root:


...and pulled it all the way here:


In case you're wondering, that's Jack using the shovel to make sure my mom doesn't get hit in the face with the chain when the root inevitably snapped. Chivalry.

She and my dad were a lot of help:


But she?


...was no help at all.


Aren't dogs supposed to want to dig?


Guess not. But even without Maggie's help, we were still pretty happy with the result.


The very dirty...


...very very sore...


...perfect result.
blog comments powered by Disqus