Thursday, April 22, 2010

In which I am two inches tall

Well, it's over.

Awana, that is.

Actually, it's not quite over until next week, after we have our awards ceremony, but last night was our last official "say verses" night for the year, and since I don't consider it Awana unless there are verses, it's over.

And I? Am kind of relieved. Because weeknights! Are open! And the children! Are with their parents! Instead of me!

But, also, awww, I shall miss you, loud girls. And I shall miss the quiet ones even more.

We have one girl, K, in our group who is particularly, um, excitable (actually, if we're going to get technical here, we have two girls in our group who are particularly excitable). I think it takes her concentrating on every single one of the smallest of blood vessels, brain cells, and bacteria in her body to get herself to sit still and be quiet for seconds at a time. So she doesn't.

Usually, my greeting from K is "Ms. Mandy! I'm really hyper today" and I'm thinking "Yes, K. What else is new?"

Sidenote: Why do children announce that they are hyper to you as if it is something you will enjoy hearing? Memo to the tiny people: This is not good news for the big people. Please make your next announcement be that you are mellow today. Thanks and gig 'em.

Anyway, so I'm listening to another little girl, J, recite her Bible verse, and it's taking everything the kid has to get through the thing because she's distracted by everything, when all of the sudden, K jumps up out of her seat and shrieks at the top of her lungs. The whole room stops what they were doing and look at her. Unfortunately, this is a common occurrence with this one and we have learned we really have to nip it in the bud.

"K! No! Sit down please and do not scream like that! J is trying to say her verse!" I snap at her. Her face falls.

"But... I just finished my book!" she replied, disappointed.

Gulp.

"Oh," I stammer back. "Good job!"

Finishing their books is a really big deal since they only finish one a year and some don't even finish that one. I give her a high five and try to ignore her wildness as I go back to listening to J's verses.

It's probably a good thing I'm getting a break from Awana. For the kids' sake, at least.
blog comments powered by Disqus