Sunday, April 4, 2010

Love-a-thon winner and meat meat meat

Alternately titled: Oh yeah, was I supposed to choose a winner for this?




Congratulations!!

I have to be honest. I wasn't expecting that you guys would raise the entire amount of money for Ellyn in that short amount of time. Oh me of little faith, I guess. It just goes to show how great you all are and how wonderful El is. Thank you for helping my friend.

Speaking of helping others, here's a new thing I learned really recently. The food pantry at my local church has a bunch of refrigerators and freezers. I had no idea. I always just thought the only thing you could ever donate were non-perishable food items because that's what I've always been asked to donate.

Not so.

They have the facilities to take anything. Juice. Fresh veggies. Yogurt. Fruit. I had no idea. This opens up a whole new world for me to use my coupons for food donations, because I always thought I couldn't donate that stuff.

They even take meat.

Which is why my dad recently decided to set a goal to get 1,000 pounds of meat donated to food banks across the country. He explains why he chose meat here, but the bottom line is that he has less than 300 pounds left to raise and he needs your help.

Next time you're at the store and you see that chicken for 88 cents a pound or that pork loin for 99 cents a pound, grab an extra pack or two to take to your local food pantry. And then tell him, because it makes him all happy and he gets to bring up his total meat number. And if you have a minute, blog or tweet about it, so others will donate too. It's a really easy way of helping others with something that doesn't cost you a lot.
blog comments powered by Disqus