Monday, May 31, 2010

Organize your jewelry

My father-in-law came in a few weekends ago to help fix parts of the outside of our house that have aged and need replacing. He rocks. Big time. In fact, he's coming again this weekend to do even more for us. Score.

But I'm not going to lie, I'm not really all that much help in this area. Mostly because Jack's there to help. Exhibit A.


Nice view, yes?

Anyway, my home improvement projects are slightly more indoors. And slightly cheaper. So I've decided to start a home improvement series in an attempt to both motivate myself to get some of my do-it-yourself projects done this summer, and I'm hoping you'll join in the fun. I'm calling it Home Decor Assignment Tuesday! 

This week's assignment? Get your jewelry organized!

Because if you're like me, you didn't have an organizational system. If you're like me, you just hang your necklaces wherever you could find a place, like on your bathroom cabinet's handles.




Which, as you can see, isn't so attractive. Also? Tangles easily. Also? Hard to find the one you want and extract it. Because I'm no surgeon. Or archaeologist. So I needed a system.

Enter drill.




(That's right, ladies and gentlemen, she can work a drill.) (If you count "breaking one of the drill bits trying to drill things" as "working a drill.")

I have a built-in shoe rack in my closet, so to organize my necklaces, I simply drilled holes in the side of it and screwed in little hooks so I would have a place to hang them. That was it! And ta-da! Organization!




Next, I tackled the earrings battle. Before, I was just hanging them on the edge of the drawer organizer inside the vanity drawer.




Every time I got something out of that drawer organizer I would always knock a few of the pairs off the edge. Ugh.

To organize my earrings, I just threaded two rows of wire on the top shelf of my bathroom cabinet.




(Okay, get your husband to tighten the wire for you if you need a big strong man to help.)

And voilĂ !!




Instant organization.

As you can see, none of these fixes are difficult. It only took me a few hours to do the whole thing, and really, it was only that long because I broke a drill bit.

So let's see what you got, imaginary readers! How are you going to organize your jewelry this week (or, if you already have a system, how have you already organized it)? You don't have to do it like I did it, you just have to do something with your jewelry to organize it. Don't forget to leave me a comment and tell me what you did!

Ready, GO!
blog comments powered by Disqus