Saturday, June 26, 2010

Worlds: Day 4,291

Today has been long. Very, very long. And tomorrow we have to be up at 6:30 because the 6th degree competition is sometime between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. 

What the heck?

Thanks for the specific scheduling, taekwondo people. I really appreciate having to get up at the butt-crack of dawn - just in case.

Jack was like "you don't have to come watch me!" Sure, dear. I'm going to skip your first 6th degree competition because I want to sleep in. That's a wife fail if I ever heard one.

Okay, okay. I'm not going to lie. I considered it.

Today went as well as we expected. Jack did his top ten competition in forms and came in fourth this time. He did a good form but the guys in that ring are just crazy good. The guy who one first was miles above everybody else (much like Jack was yesterday in his weapons competition). Plus it was the guy's birthday so it was kind of fun to see him get a world champ title for his birthday.

We had dinner with Jack's students and then went out for a few "here's to the world champions!" toasts with some of his friends. It's always so fun to be with them, but at the same time, it's work.

The always being Mrs. Hornbuckle. The always being on. The always smiling and being pleasant and making small talk. The constant talk about taekwondo. And then some watching taekwondo. And then more thinking about taekwondo. I love these people and I'm so, so proud of my husband, but it this trip is exhausting every year (and it doesn't help anything to be stuck in Little Rock, Arkansas!) It is definitely not a vacation.

But it has been a good weekend. And tomorrow will be good too. And the next day? I will be going home. And that will be even better! I'm looking forward to going home on Sunday, and even going back to work on Monday, because it means I will not have to watch any more taekwondo or even have to talk about it most of the day.

And that sounds pretty good to me right now.
blog comments powered by Disqus