Saturday, July 17, 2010

In which I have to be dragged back into a raft

Today we went white-water rafting...ish. I mean, it was technically white-water rafting. But it was also the beginner's level, so we spent a lot of our time just... rafting. Which was awesome. Beautiful scenery. Perfect weather. Refreshing splashes from the river every so often. A really fun raft guide from a fabulous rafting company in Colorado. And a stop and climb up a 10-foot high rock from which to jump into the river.

At one point during the 4-hour ride, we were at a slow spot and our guide told us that if we'd like to jump in the water to cool off for a minute we could. As soon as we did, however, I guess he realized that the current was taking the boat away faster than he had anticipated, so he began grabbing each of us by the life jackets and pulling us back onto the raft before we came to the next rapid.

He started with Cassandra, then Jack. Both of them got back onto the raft with little incident (Jack evidently ended up all up in the guy's crotch, but you know, it happens), but then he tried lifting me out of the water.

I don't know if I was just heavier than the others (gosh, I hope not, at least when it came to Jack), or I was just bad at hoisting myself up at the right time, but for some reason when he pulled me up, he decided it would be best to turn me over while I was only halfway onto the raft. I ended up splayed over the raft backwards, my back arched at a very uncomfortable angle and my legs hanging over the side. And I don't know if you've ever been in that position? But it's really hard to get out of it.

So I'm just dangling there, kicking my legs wildly and trying to get over this hump onto the raft while folded in half and backwards, and he's awkwardly trying to grab my bottom half and drag the rest of me onto the raft backwards. When he finally got me in, I ended up in a heap, upside down, at the bottom of the raft.

Needless to say, it was not my most graceful moment.
blog comments powered by Disqus