Thursday, October 14, 2010

The birds and the bees and the trains

I'm going to see my buddy Ellyn next week in Florida, and because I'm an expert at overstaying my welcome, I'll get a really detailed glimpse into their day-to-day lives while they do school and church and all that jazz.

I joked with Ellyn that I wanted to homeschool her kids something while I was there, and that I could do a lesson on evolution since I was pretty sure they weren't getting it in their current lesson plan.

For some reason, she declined.

"Okay," I said "I'll just teach them where babies come from, I guess."

"They'd probably eat it up," Ellyn tweeted back. "They've had a lot of questions after seeing a certain MythBusters last week."

Awesome. Groundwork.

I was telling my friend Colleen this at work today, and she told me a story about when she was raising her own kids. She had gone to a seminar on talking to your kids about sex, and they suggested that to prevent one big scary "THE TALK" moment, you introduce your kids early and often to concepts while they're young, such as the differences between boys and girls.

The next day, Colleen was playing with her three year old son and decided to try this out.

"Are you a boy or a girl?" she asked him.

He paused and thought for a moment.

"I'm a train! Toot toot!" he responded.
blog comments powered by Disqus