Friday, December 17, 2010

He's not going to work any harder

Now that the cat's out of the bag about our big purchase, I might as well tell you something about Jack.

When he finally owns this taekwondo school, he's not going to work any harder than he does now.

There might be more work to do, sure. Actually, there most definitely will be more work, and it will take up a lot more of our time. No doubt about that.

But he will not work any harder.

We will be making the money, and how he performs will directly and significantly impact our income for the first time.

But he will not work any harder.

The instruction he gives his students will make or break us; if they don't like him and leave, we will have to worry about replacing them to pay the bills.

But he will not work any harder.

I am confident about this statement because I have known my husband for eight years, and I have never, ever seen him do his job half-heartedly or below his very best abilities.

He's not going to work any harder because he can't possibly work any harder.

No matter what situation he's in, Jack embodies the commandment from Colossians 3:23-24:

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

Every sales meeting. Every class. Every inventory. Every private lesson with a difficult student. Every late night sorting belts. Every judging assignment at a tournament. Every report he must turn in. Every toilet he scrubs.

He does all of it excellently. With all of his heart. As working for the Lord.

I have so many reasons to be proud of my husband, but one of the foremost reasons in my mind is his work ethic. I think that's one of the most impressive things that his parents ever taught him (well, that, and how chivalrous and respectful he is toward women).

I have seen him perform when nobody will notice. I have seen him excel when there will be no reward. I have seen him care when he hasn't been given a reason to.

And that's how I know that when it's his recognition, his reward, his gain?

He's not going to work any harder for it.
blog comments powered by Disqus