Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2010 in Review

I have been putting off my 2010 in review post. And now it's 2011 and here I am, writing my first blog post of the new year about the old year. Glad I didn't make "stop procrastinating" my New Year's Resolution.

I'm not going to lie, 2010 was filled with a whole lot of crap, and I was not sorry to see it go. We lost my dog and my grandmother. My car got smashed by a 40-foot pine tree. The nature of my job changed, and to be perfectly honest I don't enjoy it the same way I used to. We are in a time of great risk during the purchase of a business and our leap of faith isn't over as fast as we would like it to be.

2010 has been taxing, to say the least.

But a lot of good things happened in 2010 too. Of the "blessings" variety. Ergo, the following:


January


I started the year off quite nicely with a Caribbean cruise with my buddy Angela and some blog friends who have become some of my closest friends. I left Jack behind, but he kept busy missing me.

February


February was filled with snow days, Valentine's Day, Awana, a taekwondo tournament, and most excitingly, the purchase of my new bike, Lucy.

March


March was my birthday and our anniversary, which we celebrated in style thanks to my romantic and surprising husband. This is also the month that I actually learned how to cook from scratch thanks to The Pioneer Woman (thought it wasn't always pretty!). I made a video about my mom's Multiple Sclerosis. Oh, and I vowed to never emotionally invest in a sporting event again.

April

April was Jack's birthday, and yet another taekwondo tournament, this time in Forney. I bought my first Coach purse during another adventure with Brittany, Jack took care of me when we were sick, and I learned a little something about clipping in and out. I also finished up the Awana year, and decided to be done with that for a while. I'm using my BikeMS picture for this month because I spent the majority of this month preparing for it.

May

I spent the first weekend in May riding BikeMS, and it was so rewarding. After that, I headed to Boston to meet up with my friend Brittany and my brother and sister-in-law, which was a blast (for the most part). We spent the rest of the month just trying to keep up with Jack's wonderful dad as he fixed up our house.

June

This month was all about taekwondo - we headed to Little Rock for the annual world championships, where Jack tested for his sixth degree black belt, won world champion in weapons, and won third in weapons in his new Master's ring. I have never been so proud in my life.

July

In July Jack and I drove to Vail to meet up with my brother and sister-in-law for a vacation. We had a wonderful time with them, and took a portrait of the four of us while we were there for my mom's Christmas gift. About a week after we got back, we had to put my sweet, stupid dog Tia to sleep. And then, the final blow to July was that my Grandma Barbara also passed away at the end of the month. Aside from the Vail trip, July ended up really, really sucking.

August

August started out pretty rough since my grandma had just died, but it did mean that we all got to go and spend some time with my Grandpa Kent up at their ranch. It was beautiful there. Also in August: my Vac then Steam Shark mop came into our lives and I just finally got my hair back to normal after months of my "natural consequence" of the drugstore fiasco last Christmas. But the biggest thing that happened in August is that Jack started the process of purchasing his taekwondo school.

September

September started out with a serious nature attack in East Texas when a tree fell on my car. That meant that a good amount of our September was spent dealing with insurance companies and rental car companies, but we were very fortunate that nobody was hurt. Also in September, I threw a surprise lingerie shower for my lovely friend Angela.

October

About a third of my October was spent in Florida, first with my buddy Ellyn, where I got to know Starbucks and baby poop very well. After that, Jack met me in Orlando, where we spent the rest of the week at his national taekwondo tournament (where he won second in weapons and third in forms in the Master's ring!), Disney World, and Universal Studios. 

November

November was a beautifully low-key month for us. We spent a lot of our time at Starbucks enjoying their Gingerbread Lattes in the red cups. Jack also spent most every Sunday morning making me big, delicious breakfast this month. Thanksgiving day was spent at my parents' house and then we spent the rest of that weekend at Jack's parents' house in East Texas.

December

December was spent knee-deep in business-related paper-work. Jack signed the lease for his new taekwondo school and designed his new school's layout. We visited Jack's family in East Texas the weekend before Christmas, and then we spent Christmas day with both of our parents at our house. We rang in the new year with good friends at a low-key gathering at our house. 
blog comments powered by Disqus