Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Enough.

I don't generally make New Year's Resolutions. Well, that's not really true. This year, I decided I needed to get a haircut and a new toilet brush. And I made those two things my resolutions. Aim low and you won't disappoint yourself, I say!

Anyway, two of my big 'ol girl crushes (big 'ol crushes, not big 'ol girls, in case you were concerned), Alece Ronzino and Ali Edwards have this great tradition of choosing one word for the year. No resolutions, no big expectations, just a word to focus on through your ups and downs.

Look! A banner!





So you know it's for real now.

The problem with this whole thing is that I knew immediately what my word was supposed to be when I saw Alece's post at the end of the year. And I didn't really like it. It's not a word I expect to "master" this year. Or even in this lifetime.

Enough.

So many times I think about what might be over what is; what I want instead of what I need. But that's not how it's supposed to work.

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." (2 Corinthians 12:7)

My grace is sufficient. It's enough.

What you get out of your job is enough.

The amount of activities you already signed up for is enough.

The 4,148 nice things your husband does for you per day are enough.

The amount in your checking account is enough.

Where you have progressed in your marriage and as a wife is enough.

The number of clothes in your closet is enough.

It's not that God won't also provide some of the things I want; it's that I don't need anything except what I have been given. That's all I need to know this year.

His grace is enough.
blog comments powered by Disqus