Thursday, March 24, 2011

And then we laughed until we cried

We were watching TV tonight and a commercial for that new movie "Hop" came on, and the bunny in the preview introduced himself excitedly: "I'm the Easter bunny!"

I looked over at Jack playfully.

"I'm the Easter bunny!" I announced.

"You're not the Easter bunny," he responded, without looking up.

I feigned hurt feelings.

"What do you mean I'm not the Easter bunny?" I whined in return. "I am the Easter bunny!"

"If you're the Easter bunny," Jack replied, "then I want to see you hippity hop."

"You want to see me what?" I asked, indignantly.

"Hippity hop," he replied, casually. "The Easter bunny can hippity hop. That's how you know it's the Easter bunny. And I don't think you can hippity hop."

I gave him a cold stare.

"You know," I began, slowly, "we've been through a lot together. We've had some good times, and we've had some bad times."

I began crescendoing my voice dramatically.

"And during all of the things we've been through, I thought we were building a foundation of trust in this marriage."

I began making grand gestures with my arms.

"But if you need to see a hippity hop from me to believe that I'm the Easter bunny," I bellowed, "then maybe we don't have the foundation of trust in this marriage that I thought we did!!"

Jack watched the whole speech silently, and as soon as I finished, he sprang to life with equal theatricality and volume.

"If our marriage had been built on this foundation of trust you speak of," he roared back, "then I would have already known you were the Easter bunny by now!"
blog comments powered by Disqus