Friday, April 1, 2011

Both.

He texts to ask if he can go out with friends tonight after work.

I exhale.

Tonight I will have extra time. Maybe I'll catch up on some housework. Maybe I'll make a few cards or scrapbook pages. Maybe I'll design a blog I've been needing to work on, or maybe I'll fix a computer problem. Or maybe, I'll just sprawl out on the couch and read a novel in the silence, something I've not had time for in... I don't know how long.

So that's what I do. I don't move for hours, except to turn page after page. The housework waits and I don't feel guilty because it's just me in my house.

And I cherish it.

And then he walks through the door.

I exhale.

He's safe and sound, chattering on with stories of kids in karate uniforms and stacks and stacks of paperwork. He's back in my house and in my arms, where he belongs.

And I cherish it.
blog comments powered by Disqus