Friday, August 26, 2011

Eric's Question

"What do you think you're really, really good at? Like, probably better than anybody you know at?"

My friend Eric asked me this question on Monday.

I didn't quite know what to say.

I mean, obviously the first word that popped into my head was "RIVER-DANCING!" but after the river-dancing, it was a difficult question to answer.*

Because the thing is, I don't do most things long enough to become better than anybody else at them. I go in cycles where I need to do something until I burn myself out on it (See also: couponing). I do come back to it eventually, but I haven't quite perfected any one thing because of this, I think.

I ended up sitting there silently stumped for a few moments, and then (heaven help me) I quoted my dad to him, who always says "life is a collection of experiences." And I have been collecting.

I'm learning to sew. I have gotten good enough to sew fancy little camera strap covers and make curtains and pillows and alter dresses and hem pants and things. Most people my age can't do that.

I am loving learning to cook. Thank you, Pioneer Woman. And thank you, pretty kitchen that I want to be in all the time. I've made some dishes I can be proud of now, and I'm always getting better.

I'm getting better at photography. Partially because it's a part of my job, but mostly because I love documenting memories. That's the point of all of this blogging, tweeting, and scrapbooking, really. I love documenting memories.

I'm a good editor. I make things they put on the radio, so I must be good enough. I know many technical things and can talk super-nerdy about storage solutions and RSS feeds and the proper way to coil an XLR cable and which DSLRs are on the market right now and the ridiculousness of Final Cut Pro X. I'm really good at figuring out how to automate things using technology. I am willing to work hard, and I know my way around a studio just as much as the boys do. I kind of like that about myself.

I know musicals inside and out and so, so appreciate live theater. And even though I can't sing, I can quote and reference most any Broadway Musical you throw at me. That's probably not really all that important of a trait in the scheme of things, but it does fall under the "things Mandy is good at" category, so I'm counting it.

I feel like I finally "get" fashion. Not that I can afford the things I want, or that I'm always dressed right, but you know, I'm at the age where I at least understand what looks good and what doesn't and I just don't give a crap what people think about me anymore as long as I feel good in what I'm wearing. I like this age.

I'm good at managing money. I'm good at staying within budgets and saving, but I also know how to spend the money I need to to enjoy life. I think that's important.

I can make pretty things out of not much of anything, really. I've always enjoyed scrapbooking, cardmaking... creating anything really. It makes me feel relaxed and loved and centered.

I don't care what people think most of the time. I have a self-deprecating sense of humor and I think that's probably healthy. I am a ridiculously bad dancer, but I do it anyway. I am awkward and silly and nerdy and I think that's just fine.

In some ways, I'm a really good wife. I get excited about making dinner for my husband, and I make sure we have the things we need in the house, like batteries and light bulbs and toothpaste. I think ahead and always remember to bring his phone charger on trips when he forgets it. I make him laugh, and I try to tell him often that I'm proud of him and how much I truly adore him. Our relationship is far from perfect, but I do some things right.

I can communicate clearly through writing, which I think is an incredibly important asset to have, especially for a person of my generation. I love to tell stories in writing, and hopefully, people think I'm as funny as I think I am.

I try to make other people feel good as much as possible. I don't hold back compliments and I hardly ever forget birthdays of friends or anniversaries of close friends' loved ones' deaths. I do my best to let others know they are important.

I'm good at getting things done behind the scenes for our business. I'm efficient and useful at Whatever-My-Title-Is at our karate school, and I like to think I improve it with my web design and bookkeeping and office work and marketing. Or, at least, I improve Jack's quality of life by relieving some of the pressure for him at work (see point above about sometimes being a good wife).

I am really good at raising money for the MS Society. I lead my BikeMS team as best I can, and I am absolutely shameless when it comes to asking for money to cure my mom's disease. (You can donate here. See? Shameless!)

I don't know if I can answer Eric's question, really. At least, I can't answer the part about what I'm doing that's better than anyone else. But I can answer the first part at least. Those are some of the things I'm good at.

And really, it was a nice question for him to ask. Because it's probably a good exercise for everyone, especially women, to think about sometimes. We spend a lot of time thinking about what is wrong with us, and God made us into pretty fantastic people in so many different ways. It's nice not to focus on our faults sometimes.

So, now it's your turn.

What are you really, really good at?


--

*No, I've never river-danced. Let me just remind you what happened the last time I was near a river, okay? There will be no dancing in this place.
blog comments powered by Disqus