Saturday, October 15, 2011

In which there are no pictures.

I don't have a ridiculous amount of pictures of my closest friends.

I know, I know. Madness, yes? Am scrapbooker! Must take pictures all the time! If it's not in the scrapbook, it didn't happen!!

But the thing about your closest friends? You're sitting around your living room floor, playing with the dog and wearing no makeup, hair wet and unbrushed after a shower, talking about who-even-knows-what while you watch TV and just... BE.

You don't think about pictures. You just, are. Together.

There aren't a lot of people like that in anybody's life, I don't think. The kind of relationship where it's easy. Unforced. Everything picks up exactly where you leave off no matter how long it's been.

Fortunately, I am incredibly blessed to have a robust handful of these types of friends in my life. I am sitting in one such friend's apartment at the moment in College Station. Michelle and I have known each other since... forever? I think I was six when her family moved in next door, and she was three. We grew up together.

And there are not nearly enough photos of the two of us together to represent the amount of time we spend together or the closeness we share.

And tonight, that made so much sense to me.

We're in town this weekend to see Jack's buddies from the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets, and there is just no good way to describe the sort of relationship these men (and a few women!) share.

We hug. And we laugh. And we love on other peoples' kids. And it's just. so. easy. Even for me, who is usually exhausted after having to be social and "on" when I'm out with people - with this group? Jack's buddies and their wives? Effortless. A pleasure.

I could tell you about all of them, what I love about each one.

I could tell you about Megan - she's Brad's wife. She's the kind of beautiful that will make you want to hate her a little until you realize she's so ridiculously sweet that it's impossible to. The fact that she talks to me at these get-togethers still makes me feel like the girl who gets to sit at the cool table at a middle school lunch.

I could tell you how Jason and Katie are the kind of people who radiate love. They look you in the eyes and really, really listen when you talk. And if you could find a way to bottle their 6-month-old son's little laugh? It would be the most effective anti-depressant ever created.

I could go on and on about Wendy, Jack's college roommate's wife, the woman I want to be when I grow up. She is funny and sweet and such an amazing mom. I've watched Wendy walk through pain and I've watched Wendy walk through through joy and no matter what you're watching Wendy do, you're watching Christ. If I thought she would skip through a field of daisies with me, I might just ask her to do that.

I would say that Michael and Stephanie may be the couple Jack and I relate to most - sarcastic and fun and hilariously dry. If I could be guaranteed sweet, funny, and well-behaved kids like their three, I might just have three myself. Or a hundred.

I could tell you how Mike stood next to me at step-off and made fun of Jack with me this morning. There's nothing better than having somebody you can make fun of your spouse with who you know loves him as much as you do. You can relax and be yourself around somebody like Mike.

I would love to tell you about Bekah, the other Jason's new fiancee (as of yesterday, when I had the privilege of watching him propose to her at the Century Tree!). How she has a ridiculously beautiful tattoo on her wrist that says "faith." How I wanted to jump up and down and squeal with her after she got engaged last night but didn't because I didn't want to freak her out. And how I'm completely confident that she will fit in beautifully with this group of B-Co wives and that I can't wait to get her know better.

I could tell you how Philip once looked at me and said "I've decided you can be my niece." Matter-of-fact. Just like that. Doesn't matter that he's only 7 years older than I am - to me, he will always be "Uncle Philip." For reasons I will never understand.

That's not even close to all of them.

Really, I could tell you about each and every one of these people and use a million words listing everything I love about them.

But all I really need to tell you is that I didn't take any pictures tonight.

Because I was just enjoying my time with them too much to pick up a camera.

And that's a pretty good gauge of the kinds of moments and people you really should remember.
blog comments powered by Disqus