Thursday, December 15, 2011

Um, are you sure this isn't date night?

He called me today.

"I'm really sorry, but I'm going to have to do some work tonight," he said.

We have a newish agreement, see - he gifts me one night a week where we don't have to do karate work after we get home - Wednesdays. We watch TV and eat dinner and chat free of any pressure to get websites and bookkeeping and belt sorting and event planning done. It's my night. I'm ridiculously blessed to have a husband who drops everything for me at least one night a week. It's not an easy thing for him to give up for me.

But this is the last week before Christmas break, and I totally understood that he needs to cram in a lot of extra work this week so he can take the next two weeks off.

(Also - "next two weeks off." HA. HA HAHA HAHAHAHA. There is so much to do during those two weeks.)

"But how about this," he continued. "I want to take you to Anthropologie and buy you a dress to wear to the staff party. And I looked it up. They close at 9, so I'm going to leave early from work and pick you up, then we'll go see if we can find you something."

Wait.

WHAT?

You want to take me to Anthropologie? And buy me a dress? And you're LEAVING WORK EARLY TO DO THAT?

I mean, like I said, he sacrifices a lot for me, but he also has to sacrifice for the school, and leaving work early on a normal night? That doesn't happen much.

But he just, offered it tonight. Without being asked. And then had the audacity to suggest that he was "taking my date night away by working later tonight."

Ha!

So we went in with 40 minutes to shop. We basically picked up every dress we could find in my size and I headed to the dressing room.

He stood outside and evaluated each dress I tried on.

At the end of it all, I was in love with two dresses.

Two!

I mean, that doesn't happen often. I have a hard time finding clothes I love.

(But, you know, ANTHROPOLOGIE.)

So I had a hard decision to make.

And I looked at each dress. And I looked at him. And I thought...

This sure is a nice problem to have.
blog comments powered by Disqus