Sunday, January 1, 2012

Techationships

It's the new year!

Good riddance, 2011.

I'm completely aware that the fact that it is now a new year changes nothing about anything that happened in 2011, but still. Good riddance.

(It wasn't all bad. In fact, there were pretty great things about it.)

(At some point I'll write a year in review post. I have to finish journaling Project 365 first.)

(I'm working on July right now.)

(Yikes.)

Anyway, as most new year sermons normally go, this morning our pastor discussed new year's resolutions and goals.

I don't generally make new year's resolutions. I think because it's popular to do so, and I find any such activity silly.

Fastest thing to make me stop doing something? Make it trendy.

But today the pastor was talking about how we should have a new year's resolution to maintain better relationships with one another, "instead of just the relationships you keep up on Facebook and Twitter and things like that." FACE-TO-FACE IS THE ONLY WAY TO BE A FRIEND, YOU SEE.

Sigh.

I hear this so. very. often. Especially from pastors.

At what point will the Church learn that technology is not the enemy, and even if it was, it's not going away any time soon?

At what point with the Church start preaching that we should use social media for God's glory instead of fighting against it?

At what point will the Church learn that technology can add value to relationships??

I don't care how much theological training you have - you will never, ever convince me that technology is the enemy. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that it is. Those who think it is are ignorant, or are using it incorrectly.

My friend Eric told me that on his Friday night date with his lovely wife, Laura, they spent their time drinking wine and "iPadding" together, reading articles and generally relaxing.

I laughed and told him that Jack and I had done pretty much the same - sitting at a restaurant playing Words with Friends back and forth on our iPhones.

Neither couple was using technology to escape one another; we were using it as a tool for interaction.

Technology can add value to relationships.

I would not be nearly as close friends with several people if it weren't for blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and text messaging. And actually, I wouldn't be friends with those people at all had it not been for the technology we have been blessed with, considering they're spread out from Iowa to New York City.

There are people who know all my secrets who I haven't seen face-to-face in years, or even ever. There are people who pray for me and care for me and love me from thousands of miles away, and vice versa.

These relationships are not superficial, fake, or shallow. In fact, they are some of the most intimate friendships I've ever known.

And they are maintained because of technology.

If we don't use the tools we are given in the time in which we live, we are being poor stewards.

Technology can add value to relationships.

Technology can be used for the glory of God.


I wonder how long it will be until the Church finally learns how to embrace this.
blog comments powered by Disqus